Weather
Monte-Carlo, MC
clear sky
9.5 ° C
11.1 °
2.2 °
66%
3.6kmh
0%
Fri
12 °
Sat
12 °
Sun
12 °
Mon
12 °
Tue
14 °
Breaking News

Makeover of Casino Square to dramatically change the look of Monte Carlo

A “shoe-in” divorce from Monaco to Manhattan

A “shoe-in” divorce from Monaco to Manhattan

By Staff Writer - August 1, 2016

Photo: nyphotographic.com
Photo: nyphotographic.com

A wealthy socialite wants a Manhattan judge to move her divorce hearing from Monaco to New York so she won’t risk losing any expensive gifts received from her husband since they married in Hong Kong in 2008. Tracey Hejailan-Amon could lose $70 million that her estranged husband, Swiss businessman Maurice Alain Amon, whose family-owned company Sicpa, according to WSJ, produces “security inks for most of the world’s bank notes, as well as passports and lottery scratch cards”, gave her during their eight-year union, her lawyers have claimed.

The “gifts” Hejailan-Amon received include a $15 million Fifth Avenue apartment, jewellery, cars, art and furnishings – all of which the 47-year-old would keep if the case were tried in New York.

She’d also have a shot at half of a $25 million art collection, which includes work by Andy Warhol, Jean-Michel Basquiat and Damien Hirst, the couple built during their marriage, according to the New York Post.

Hejailan-Amon doesn’t file taxes, vote or have a driver’s licence in New York – but she still wants the benefit of the state’s generous “equitable distribution” law. Her lawyer, Judd Burstein, argued at a recent Manhattan Supreme Court appearance that the former couple has homes in France, Monaco, Switzerland and New York – and Hejailan-Amon visited her Manhattan pad so often that it should be considered her legal residence.

Amon’s attorney, Peter Bronstein, called the spurned spouse a “gold digger” who is demanding $235,000 in monthly alimony on top of the gifts. Mr Amon, 64, maintains that since his ex-wife kept her treasure trove of shoes in Monaco, that’s where their home was.

“If we prevail, as I believe we will, Mr Amon will find himself in a New York divorce case, where he stands to lose perhaps $100 million more than what a Monaco court might order,” Burstein said. The judge said she would rule on the matter within 60 days.

shares
SHARE
Previous articleSaint Charles pool closed to the public Aug 1 to Sept 4 inclusive
Next articleMonaco strengthens relations with Sri Lanka

LEAVE A REPLY

daily

January 22, 2020 | Business & Finance

MEB reveals rich program for 2020

Cassandra Tanti

More than 350 economic players came together for the first MEB Members Meeting of the year, during which a full calendar of events for 2020 was unveiled.

0
January 17, 2020 | Business & Finance

Markets weekly

Barclays

Company news will pick up pace this week, with fourth-quarter earnings being published for more than 800 companies. That said, key macro data and economic news will also remain on investors’ watch list.

0
January 14, 2020 | Business & Finance

Department of Labour expands e-services

Stephanie Horsman

The Monegasque Department of Labour is taking its commitment to the Extended Monaco programme to the next level with a restructured system for employees and job seekers.

0
January 12, 2020 | Business & Finance

MEB success in Portugal

Stephanie Horsman

The Monaco Economic Board (MEB) made its first foray into Portugal last week, looking to sign on potential business partners and investors.

0