Breaking News

A new positive case of Covid-19 on 23rd May brings confirmed number to 98: 90 cured, 2 hospitalised, 1 resident death, 3 non-resident deaths

AS Monaco’s confidence broken ahead of Friday’s Ligue 1 match

AS Monaco’s confidence broken ahead of Friday’s Ligue 1 match

By Staff Writer - August 8, 2016

Photo: Facebook AS Monaco
Photo: Facebook AS Monaco

Monaco fell 0-5 against SSC Napoli on Sunday, and although the game was a friendly pre-season fixture, the result did nothing for the confidence of the red and whites. The Principality side may have been not the strongest that coach Leonardo Jardim could have fielded, but the result was a direct blow to morale just days before the first match in France’s Ligue 1, on Friday, against Guingamp.

AS Monaco have also been hit by the loss of striker Radamel Falcao for the next four weeks after he suffered a thigh injury against Turkish side Fenerbahce in the home leg of the Champions Ligue qualifier last week.

In other club news, AS Monaco’s problems with the French football authorities have not gone away, as Bordeaux’s president Jean-Louis Triaud has again attacked the club for its “fiscal advantages”.

In a previous outburst of criticism three years ago, Triaud said that playing against Monaco was like running the 100 metres with a time delay of 10 metres.

He has said nothing about the financial power of Paris Saint Germain, funded by Qatari money, saying that insofar as clubs respect the same rules there is no problem. But, because of the fact that Monaco is an attractive destination for top players thanks to the absence of income tax in the Principality, he considers this “unfair competition”.

Time will tell if other clubs will join Bordeaux’s latest round of hostilities.

shares
SHARE
Previous article“Radical” migrant picked up after crossing Italian border
Next articleMonaco Paws: The Rescued and the Rescuers

LEAVE A REPLY

daily

Stephanie Horsman

The 24 Hours of Le Mans Virtual will take place next month with a “Strong Together” Ferrari entered by the Princess Charlene of Monaco Foundation.

0
May 25, 2020 | News

Nostalgic weekend of racing

Stephanie Horsman

It was a Monaco Grand Prix weekend like no other, with not a single car racing around the Principality save for a Ferrari being driven by Charles Leclerc with Prince Albert in the passenger seat.

0
Stephanie Horsman

The Automobile Club of Monaco has announced that the F1 Grand Prix, the Historic Grand Prix and Formula E races will all be held within a five-week period in 2021.

0
May 20, 2020 | News

Leclerc new face of Armani

Stephanie Horsman

Without even putting his foot down in an F1 racing car this year, pilot Charles Leclerc is having a pretty stellar time with massive eSport success and now landing a gig as the new face of Giorgio Armani.

0