Breaking News

The number of people officially infected with Covid-19 has risen to 60 in Monaco: 2 cured, 11 hospitalised, 2 in ICU

CMB’s London office puts expansion on hold

CMB’s London office puts expansion on hold

By Staff Writer - July 17, 2016

BUSINESS/BANKING: Boutique firm CMB Wealth Management has put on hold its expansion plans because of the UK’s decision to leave the European Union.

CMB Wealth was launched last year as the UK arm of Monaco-based private bank, CMB, which is a subsidiary of Italy’s Mediobanca. Former Coutts investment director Julian Soper was hired as UK managing director to oversee the business’s growth.

With a core client base in France, Italy and Germany, Mediobanca had partly chosen the UK so it could use its presence in London as a base to passport services into Europe, according to citywide.co.uk.

Additionally CMB Wealth, which uses the investment expertise and teams in Mediobanca, had been planning to build a fund selection team in the UK, but this has now been put on the back burner.

“Inevitably some decisions will be delayed by uncertainty,” said Soper. “There was always the idea we could use our place in London to passport into France and Germany. We will probably lose that passportng right. However, it was not integral to the strategy.

“Plans to develop a fund selection team are being delayed by all of this. Is London in the long-term the right place to build this?”

However, Soper stressed that CMB Wealth’s core business strategy remains intact and that the firm will continue to operate in the UK.

Since its launch, the firm has been on an expansion drive which saw two transfers from the bank’s Monaco office, and three hires from Credit Suisse, SG Hambros and asset manager Lepercq, de Neuflize & Co.

“It does not change things dramatically,” said Soper who does not believe that it will take two years to determine the UK’s new relationship with the EU.

“Our base is in Monaco, which is a microstate, which is not in the EU, so there is a lack of disruption there. Our plan was always to target resident non-doms. Will there be fewer resident non-doms? Possibly but we are not too concerned.”

shares
SHARE
Previous articleReception in Brussels
Next articleDisbelief and growing anger in France

LEAVE A REPLY

daily

April 2, 2020 | Business & Finance

Monaco Telecom acquisition complete

Stephanie Horsman

The Maltese Communication Authority has approved a €250 million corporate contract between Monaco Telecom and Malta’s leading telecommunications company, Vodaphone Malta.

0
April 1, 2020 | Business & Finance

Back to business at Larvotto construction site

Cassandra Tanti

Monaco is reopening the Larvotto construction site to workers, saying the beach project is “essential for the development of the Principality”.

0
April 1, 2020 | Business & Finance

Request for Extraordinary Minimum Income

Cassandra Tanti

Monaco’s self-employed entrepreneurs will have access to a minimum monthly income as part of the government’s new economic measures, effective immediately.

0
March 31, 2020 | Business & Finance

€280 million to cover Monaco’s workers

Cassandra Tanti

The Prince’s government has announced another raft of economic measures to support employees impacted by the Covid-19 crisis.

0