Weather
Monte-Carlo, MC
broken clouds
10.5 ° C
12 °
8.3 °
71%
3.6kmh
75%
Sun
12 °
Mon
12 °
Tue
14 °
Wed
13 °
Thu
12 °
Breaking News

Makeover of Casino Square to dramatically change the look of Monte Carlo

Nice attack: what we know

Nice attack: what we know

By Staff Writer - July 16, 2016

NEWS: In the wake of Thursday night’s alleged terror attack in Nice that claimed 84 lives, police in Nice arrested three people in the early hours of Saturday morning.

The estranged wife of the perpetrator, 31 year-old Tunisian-born Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, was already in police custody. The delivery driver’s flat, just north of the main train station, in Nice has also been searched.

The refrigerated truck that Bouhlel used to mow down his victims on a two-kilometre stretch of the Promenade des Anglais as a fireworks display ended, just after 22:30 on Thursday night, was the largest and heaviest that the rental company in St Laurent du Var had on its books, the company said.

Among the dead were Fatima Charrihi, whose son said she was the first to be killed, the deputy head of the Nice border police, Jean-Marc Leclerc, and two American tourists, Sean Copeland and his 11 year-old son, Brodie. In all, ten children were among the dead with 202 injured. Some 52 people remain in critical condition in local hospitals.

President François Hollande, who said that attacks in Syria and Iraq would be increased after the outrage, was booed by crowds when he visited Nice on Friday amidst widespread anger that the French authorities had not done enough to ensure security during France’s national holiday celebrations.

shares
SHARE
Previous articleContemporary art at NMNM
Next articleReception in Brussels

LEAVE A REPLY

daily

Stephanie Horsman

An incredible 12-month time lapse video showing the creation of Monaco’s mammoth land extension project has just been released.

0
January 16, 2020 | Local News

There’s a new bailiff in town

Stephanie Horsman

Monaco has a new bailiff, or huissier as known locally, who was sworn in earlier this week.

0
January 14, 2020 | Local News

Monaco crime rates continue to fall

Stephanie Horsman

General crime rates in the Principality dropped by a significant 16% between the years 2016 and 2019, and street crime by an impressive 52%.

0
Stephanie Horsman

As part of the newly approved Palais Honoria housing project, a gantry will be installed above Boulevard de Belgique, creating temporary traffic impediments in the area.

0