Von der Leyen declares era of European independence as Trump’s threats mount

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen used her opening address at the World Economic Forum in Davos to declare that Europe must build “a new form of European independence” as the continent faces mounting pressure from US President Donald Trump.

Speaking on Tuesday, von der Leyen framed the current geopolitical upheaval—including Trump’s tariff threats and territorial demands—not as a crisis to be weathered, but as a permanent shift requiring permanent European transformation.

“If this change is permanent, then Europe must change permanently too,” she told global leaders. “It is time to seize this opportunity and build a new independent Europe.”

The speech came days after Trump threatened 200% tariffs on French wine, 25% tariffs on multiple European nations over Greenland, and published private diplomatic messages from French President Emmanuel Macron.

‘Nostalgia will not bring back the old order’

Von der Leyen dismissed any hope of returning to previous transatlantic arrangements.

“Nostalgia is part of our human story. But nostalgia will not bring back the old order,” she said. “And playing for time—and hoping for things to revert soon—will not fix the structural dependencies we have.”

She drew a parallel to the 1971 “Nixon shock” when the US abandoned the gold standard, collapsing the Bretton Woods system and forcing Europe to strengthen its economic power.

Trade pivot and economic reforms

Von der Leyen pointed to Saturday’s EU-Mercosur agreement as evidence Europe is already pivoting, creating the world’s largest free trade zone with over 700 million consumers. Europe is pursuing similar deals with India, Australia, the Philippines, Thailand, Malaysia and the UAE.

“Europe will always choose the world. And the world is ready to choose Europe,” she said.

She outlined three economic priorities: creating “EU Inc.” to allow businesses to operate seamlessly across the bloc’s 450 million consumers; completing a Savings and Investment Union to keep European capital in Europe; and building an interconnected energy market through nuclear and renewables.

European defence spending will reach €800 billion by 2030, having tripled defence company valuations since 2022.

Ukraine and Greenland

Von der Leyen reaffirmed Europe’s €90 billion loan to Ukraine for 2026-2027, while recognising “President Trump’s role in pushing the peace process forward.”

On Greenland, she was uncompromising: “The sovereignty and integrity of their territory is non-negotiable.” Europe will respond with full solidarity, a massive investment surge in Greenland, and development of European icebreaker capabilities.

Direct warning to Trump

“The proposed additional tariffs are a mistake especially between long-standing allies,” she said. “The EU and US have agreed to a trade deal last July. And in politics as in business—a deal is a deal.”

Breaking that deal would aid “the very adversaries we are both so committed to keeping out,” she warned.

“Our response will be unflinching, united and proportional.”

The speech represented the most comprehensive articulation yet of how Europe plans to respond to Trump’s second presidency—not by hoping for normalcy, but by fundamentally restructuring its economic, defence and diplomatic relationships.

Trump arrives in Davos on Wednesday, where his own address will likely define the contrast in transatlantic visions for years to come.

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Photo: Taken from European Commission video of speech

Women’s rights in Monaco: A snapshot of progress and challenges in 2025

The youngest victim of gender-based violence in Monaco last year was just six years old. The oldest 80.

These shocking figures emerged on Tuesday as the Committee for the Promotion and Protection of Women’s Rights held its seventh annual meeting, revealing that reported cases of violence against women increased from 35 in 2024 to 40 in 2025.

Speaking to the press at the Yacht Club de Monaco following the morning’s plenary session on January 20th, Céline Cottalorda, interministerial delegate for women’s rights, was straightforward about the gravity of the challenge. “We always say that one victim is one too many,” she said. “And indeed, as long as there are victims of violence, we must continue working on this subject.”

The committee’s newly published study, produced by IMSEE, shows that more than 90% of victims of sexual violence and intimate partner violence are women. In 85% of police cases, victims reported physical violence. Moreover, and quite disturbingly, in 66% of cases recorded by the victim support association AVIP, violence occurred in the presence of children.

‘Boîte Noire’ goes viral

One of 2025’s unexpected successes was a short film about coercive control, a form of psychological abuse that still remains little understood, sometimes even by the victims.

‘Boîte Noire’ took an unusual but interesting approach by presenting the story from the perpetrator’s perspective, a gamble that proved successful, as the film was viewed more than 820,000 times on social media without any paid promotion.

“We’ve never had numbers like that,” Cottalorda said. “It went viral, and it really touched people. We have loads of comments that prove what was shown in the film is accurate and really concerns people.”

The film was part of the committee’s campaign for the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against women on November 25th, which also included a video contest for young people.

The committee is now exploring how to incorporate coercive control into Monegasque law. “We want to raise awareness about this concept that isn’t yet very well known, and above all, enable victims, those around them, and even perpetrators to become aware,” she explained.

Training the frontline

Behind the statistics lies extensive effort to train those who encounter victims daily. Last year, 115 professionals – police officers, social workers, magistrates, and hospital staff, among others – received specialised training. Since 2019, 600 people have competed the programme.

A separate workplace sexism prevention course has trained 567 civil servants since 2022, with 119 competing it in 2025. The sessions are voluntary and open to everyone.

The committee continues to expand these training sessions. In fact, recently they added modules on perpetrator behaviour for police and magistrates, and specific sessions for teachers. “Teachers are on the front line, particularly with children,” Cottalorda said. “It’s important to give them the keys to understanding, and above all to action, so they can direct potential victims who might be identified.”

Pay gaps and compensation

A new study on the gender pay gap, using 2024 data, showed improvements since the last survey based on 2019 figures. “The trend is towards a reduction in gaps, but there’s still wage inequality, especially in the private sector,” Cottalorda said. The public sector fares better, with many women in senior positions.

However, she aims for deeper analysis in the future. “It would be interesting to have even more precise data to really be able to compare equal work, equal pay. Today we have an overall picture, but it would be interesting to go further and to work with companies.”

For now, though, among concrete measures is a victim compensation scheme. If someone convicted of violence fails to pay court-ordered damages, the state steps in. In 2025, two victims received €10,000 and €20,000 respectively. “We can see it’s a mechanism that works, that’s effective,” Cottalorda said.

The abortion question

The government’s decision not to proceed with the legalisation of abortion doesn’t mean ignoring women’s needs, says Isabelle Berro-Amadeï, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation. “What concerns the princely government is obviously the concrete situation of women and the need for us to adapt our support,” she said.

A sexual health roadmap will be unveiled in the coming weeks, including free and anonymous gynaecological consultations for women under 21, better sex education, and improved contraception information. “We want to respond in a pragmatic and concrete way to the expectations that have been expressed within society by stepping up these support measures,” she said.

What’s next

International Women’s Day will be marked on March 6th at the Espace Léo Ferré, with another public speaking competition. In June, Monaco takes on the presidency of the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe and will host the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities on June 19th.

“It will be an opportunity for us, with all the stakeholders mobilised around women’s rights, to showcase what we’re doing in the principality,” Cottalorda said.

Wrapping-up the conference, she said: “The transformation of society happens through knowledge, training and collective mobilisation. It’s 100% emancipation. And it’s not because we’re talking about women’s rights that it’s 50% – it’s 100%. We really hold on to that.”

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Main photo credit: Stéphane Danna, Government Communications Department

Monaco Biennale to spotlight paediatric cancer breakthroughs and AI innovation

The 17ᵗʰ Biennale Monégasque de Cancérologie will return to the Grimaldi Forum from 27ᵗʰ to 30ᵗʰ January, with a landmark focus on paediatric oncology and artificial intelligence in cancer care.

Held under the High Patronage of Prince Albert II, the Biennale is set to become a key platform for global leaders in cancer research. One of the most anticipated moments will be the unveiling of early results from MEPENDAX, the first paediatric clinical trial developed from work conducted in Monaco. Presented by Professor Nicolas André of APHM Marseille, the study offers new therapeutic hope for children facing rare and aggressive brain tumours.

The paediatric session, shaped in part by the efforts of Fondation Flavien, will gather national and international experts whose work is driving the science of today and tomorrow. “My pride is having brought them all together for the children,” said organiser Denis Maccario, who described the session as both deeply human and scientifically ambitious.

Also taking the stage will be Dr Raphaël Rodriguez of the Institut Curie, whose groundbreaking research on metastases has gained worldwide attention.

The event will close with a cocktail evening on Friday 30ᵗʰ January.

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Forbes Travel Guide Summit set to return to Monaco in February

The Grimaldi Forum will once again welcome the Forbes Travel Guide Summit from February 24th to 27th, uniting senior figures from the global luxury hospitality sector.

The three-day invitation-only conference is organised by Forbes Travel Guide, which has assessed luxury hotels, restaurants, spas, and cruise ships independently for over six decades.

Established in 1958 as Mobil Travel Guide, it remains the only independent worldwide rating service for premium hospitality.

Approximately 80 leading travel advisors and agency owners will attend, joined by executives from 150 luxury companies spanning hospitality, automotive, fashion, design, and beauty sectors. Delegates represent more than 100 nations.

The travel buyers attending account for booking worth over €140 million annually at Five-Star rated properties. Forbes Travel Guide maintains connections with over 8,000 luxury travel professionals and applies its assessment criteria in 85 countries.

Three days of programming

Registration opens at midday on February 24th at the Grimaldi Forum, with access to the Braindate Networking Lounge, sponsor displays, and the Global Partner Members Lounge.

The event includes networking areas, sponsor exhibitions, Astria Live presentations, the Summit Media Studio, and day-long food experiences. There’s also a Symposium, Discovery Sessions, a Travel Professional Pavilion, an official Gala and an After Glow at Jimmy’z.

Over 30 industry speakers will present across the three days.

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Main photo credit: Forbes Travel Guide Summit

Trump’s ultimatum: Join my peace board or face 200% wine tariffs

US President Donald Trump has threatened to impose a 200% tariff on French wines and champagnes in an apparent attempt to pressure President Emmanuel Macron into joining his ‘Board of Peace’ initiative.

The threat targets one of France’s most significant export industries, with the United States representing the largest market for French wine and spirits at €3.8 billion in 2024.

Trump’s Board of Peace initiative aims to resolve global conflicts, starting with Gaza before expanding to other disputes, though questions remain about its relationship with the United Nations.

Macron set to decline invitation

A source close to Macron indicated the French president intends to decline Trump’s invitation to join the board.

When asked about Macron’s stance, Trump responded: “Did he say that? Well, nobody wants him because he will be out of office very soon.”

“I’ll put a 200% tariff on his wines and champagnes, and he’ll join, but he doesn’t have to join,” Trump added.

In another jab at the French leader, Trump published a private message from Macron in which he said he did not understand Trump’s actions over Greenland.

Industry concerns mount

French wine and spirits exported to the US currently face a 15% tariff, a rate France has been lobbying to reduce to zero since Trump and European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen agreed a US-EU trade deal last summer.

The latest threat has rattled the industry, with shares in luxury conglomerate LVMH, which owns major champagne producers including Moët & Chandon, falling 2% in early trading.

“The fact that we’re getting more threats is going to make the industry harder to invest in,” Laurence Whyatt, head of European beverages research at Barclays, told Reuters. “They will have to be more reserved, keep a bit of cash back, not invest, because they need to be able to weather the storms as and when they come.”

Gabriel Picard, chairman of the French wine and spirits export lobby FEVS, said Trump’s declarations “must be taken seriously but with composure”.

The industry already suffered a 20-25% hit to its US business in the second half of last year following previous tariff measures, Picard told Reuters.

French government responds

French Farm Minister Annie Genevard described Trump’s tactics as “brutal” and designed as a tool for blackmail.

“It’s brutal, it’s designed to break us, it’s a tool for blackmail. All of this is outrageous,” she told news channel TF1. “We have the tools; Europeans must take responsibility. We cannot allow such an escalation.”

An Elysee aide said the French government took note of Trump’s remarks and stressed that tariff threats to influence foreign policy were unacceptable.

European response

Europeans are weighing their own €93 billion tariff response and considering the use of the bloc’s “Anti-Coercion Instrument” to retaliate against separate tariff threats Trump has made against several European states over Greenland.

Trump has threatened 200% tariffs on wine and other alcoholic beverages from the EU before, including in March last year as transatlantic trade tensions escalated.

Board of Peace details

Governments have reacted cautiously to Trump’s Board of Peace invitation, with diplomats suggesting the plan could undermine United Nations work.

A draft charter sent to about 60 countries calls for members to contribute $1 billion in cash if they want their membership to last more than three years, according to a document seen by Reuters.

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok

Photo credit: Jametlene Reskp, Unsplash

 

Prince Albert II helps launch WRC season ahead of Rally Monte-Carlo

Prince Albert II of Monaco joined rally pilots, motorsport teams and fans on Saturday, as the World Rally Championship presented its 2026 campaign at Port Hercule. 

The Prince witnessed the spectacular season launch as all five competing manufacturers displayed their cars to crowds gathered at the site, while drivers spoke about their preparations for the demanding Rally Monte Carlo ahead.

The presentation came just days before Monaco hosts the opening round of the championship, with the 94th Rally Monte-Carlo set to start on Thursday January 22nd.

Following the launch, Prince Albert was also presented with a rally helmet by Automobile Club of Monaco president Michel Boeri and WRC promoter director Jona Siebel.

Ogier targets another victory

Nine-time world champion Sébastien Ogier arrives as the man to beat, having claimed victory on these roads last January alongside co-driver Vincent Landais. The French driver for Toyota, with the number one on his car, is chasing what would be his 11th Monte Carlo win.

“It’s a rally that still makes me dream, and we’ll do everything to try to continue this beautiful run,” Ogier said at the launch.

His main challengers include Hyundai’s Thierry Neuville, who has won here twice before in 2020 and 2024, and Adrien Fourmaux, who impressed with third place in his first Monte-Carlo rally with Hyundai last year.

“I’m capable of fighting at the front,” Fourmaux said. “Last season’s rally gave me a lot of confidence, and I know my team much better now.”

Lancia’s team presentation during the WRC 2026 season launch. Photo by Monaco Life

Lancia returns after three decades

However, the talk of the show was Lancia’s comeback to international rallying. The Italian brand, absent from the world championship since 1993, will compete in the WRC2 support category with two cars.

Defending WRC2 champion Yohan Rossel will lead Lancia’s return, describing the opportunity to drive for the manufacturer as a dream come true.

“It would be a pleasure to win a fourth time with a legendary brand like Lancia,” said Rossel, who will pilot the number 21 car.

This year’s championship consists of 14 stages and marks the final season for the current Rally1 cars, which have been used since 2022. A new set of technical regulations will come into force in 2027 and remain in place for the following decade.

The rally gets underway on Thursday with 66 crews taking to the harsh mountain stages that have defined the event since 1911

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Main photo by Monaco Life