Monte Carlo Rally gets underway with spectacular official kick-off

The 94th Monte Carlo Rally departed from Monaco’s Port Hercule on Thursday afternoon, with 66 crews heading into the Alps to face what competitors are calling exceptionally challenging conditions. 

Minister of State Christophe Mirmand was the one to officially flag away the first car from Port Hercule at 2:30pm, with Minister of Social Affairs and Health Christophe Robino and Minister of the Interior Lionel Beffre signalling later departures. Cars left at two-minute intervals for the liaison route to Gap.

Christophe Mirmand flagging off the first cars, photo credit: Kyriaki Topalidou, Monaco Life.

Hundreds of spectators filled the port to witness the departure, and despite light rain they lined the barriers as crews waved before heading off.

Meanwhile, Port Hercule saw large crowds gather earlier in the day, as well as during the autograph sessions, where Rally1 drivers signed everything from books and photos to T-shirts and posters.

Immediately after the autograph sessions, fans also had the opportunity to watch the rally cars line up for their official photo, followed by the drivers gathering around the trophy for a group shot of their own.

Rally cars lining up for the official photo, credit: Monaco Life

The highlight came when Sébastien Ogier unveiled Toyota’s new car to an enthusiastic crowd.

Even the 10-time Monte Carlo winner expressed caution about the rally ahead. “It’s going to be very difficult,” he said.

Sébastien Ogier unveiling the new Toyota car, credit: Kyriaki Topalidou, Monaco Life

Three treacherous stages await

Adrien Fourmaux echoed the sentiment during the podium talks.

“Conditions tonight will be really tricky. But it should be spectacular with the night-time spectators and the snow.”

During the podium talks, photo by Monaco Life.

The opening day features three stages between the Alpes-Maritimes and Alpes-de-Haute-Provence. After the 21.90km Toudon-Saint-Antonin test, crews face two night stages: the 23.80km Esclangon-Seyne-les-Alpes run and the 15.06km Vaumeilh-Claret stage. The Col du Fanget summit could prove particularly treacherous, with ice and snow forecast.

The rally now runs through January 25th, with all crews spending Thursday night in Gap before Friday’s stages.

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Main photo credit: Kyriaki Topalidou, Monaco Life

Monaco students dive into coral conservation with new AMPN and CSM partnership

A new collaboration between the Association Monégasque pour la Protection de la Nature (AMPN) and the Centre Scientifique de Monaco (CSM) is giving Monaco schoolchildren a hands-on understanding of the impact of climate change on marine ecosystems.

As part of the Aire Marine Éducative (AME) programme, launched in 2018 and supported by the Prince Albert II Foundation and the Monaco Government, a Year 6 class from Institution François d’Assise–Nicolas Barré is learning about rising ocean temperatures and coral bleaching through an innovative science project.

“The transmission of knowledge is an integral part of our work as scientists,” said Dr Sylvie Tambutté, Scientific Director of the CSM. “We’re committed to sharing our expertise with young people, especially through the AME.”

Two aquariums were set up at the CSM with coral colonies — one maintained at a healthy 25°C, and the other raised to 31°C to simulate the effects of warming seas. Students have been tracking the changes remotely via video, and in January, visited the CSM to observe the results in person.

Photo: Back row, from left to right: Xavier Maccario, Senior Technician at the CSM; Flora Ginocchio, Secretary General of the CSM; Dr Sylvie Tambutté, Scientific Director of the CSM; Jacqueline Gautier-Debernardi, Director of the AMPN; Anne-Cécile Jaadi, Primary School Teacher; Eric Tambutté, Research Scientist at the CSM; Natacha Segonds, Senior Technician at the CSM. Credit: Stéphane Danna, Government Communications Department

Dressed in lab coats, the children took part in workshops examining coral species, observing feeding habits, and identifying signs of bleaching under the microscope. The experience, said AMPN Director Jacqueline Gautier-Debernardi, helps students connect with nature in meaningful ways. “Each concrete experience sparks curiosity and shapes their desire to protect the environment.”

The AME programme aims to inspire environmental stewardship among Monaco’s youth by linking education with real-world conservation science.

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Main photo credit: Stéphane Danna, Government Communications Department

Monaco police report moderate crime levels at annual New Year ceremony

Prince Albert II presided over the annual New Year ceremony of Monaco’s Public Safety Department on Wednesday, where Director Eric Arella reviewed 2025’s security performance and presented a generally positive assessment.

The traditional event, attended by the Minister of State, Interior Minister Lionel Beffre and Monaco’s highest authorities, saw Arella address the 628 men and women who make up the department’s personnel.

The director highlighted key moments from the past year and presented statistics showing moderate crime levels that remained “globally under control” throughout 2025.

Reform progress and 2026 priorities

Arella reviewed the main areas of progress in the reform plan launched since his arrival as director.

For 2026, he outlined objectives focused on internal modernization and rationalization, development of international cooperation, and particular preparation for major events.

The ceremony reflects the department’s annual tradition of taking stock of public safety challenges while setting priorities for the year ahead.

Monaco’s Public Safety Department, which combines police and security functions, plays a central role in maintaining the principality’s reputation for safety—a key element of its appeal to residents and visitors.

Official thanks

Arella concluded his remarks by thanking Prince Albert II and members of the Princely Government for their presence and daily support of the Public Safety Department.

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Photo credit: Manuel Vitali, Government Communications Department

 

Italian mayors of historic Grimaldi sites gather at Monaco Embassy in Rome

Mayors from 46 Italian municipalities gathered at Monaco’s Rome embassy last week to discuss plans for strengthening ties to their shared Grimaldi heritage.

The assembly on Friday 16th January marked the third consecutive year the annual meeting has been hosted at the embassy, bringing together representatives from towns and cities across Italy that were once ruled by the Grimaldi dynasty.

Monaco Ambassador Anne Eastwood told the gathering that Prince Albert II will visit municipalities that have recently joined the network this year, while the principality also plans to organize a Rome event showcasing the culinary heritage of these historic sites.

Genoa to Sicily

The mayors in attendance ranged from well-known neighboring cities such as Genoa and Ventimiglia to representatives from more distant southern regions.

Dolceacqua Mayor Fulvio Gazzola, who leads the association, has overseen cultural, sporting and environmental projects designed to promote the shared heritage of the former Grimaldi fiefs.

Eastwood described the municipalities as part of a “great Monegasque family” that the association works to strengthen across Italian territory.

The annual gathering highlights Monaco’s ongoing engagement with Italian towns that retain architectural, cultural and administrative traces of Grimaldi rule from medieval and Renaissance periods.

Medieval roots

The Grimaldi family originated in Genoa before establishing control of Monaco in 1297.

Over subsequent centuries, various branches of the dynasty governed numerous Italian territories, leaving lasting marks on local architecture, governance structures and cultural traditions.

The association provides a contemporary framework for maintaining these centuries-old connections through cooperation on cultural preservation and regional development.

Projects organised by the association draw on values associated with Prince Albert II’s leadership, according to officials.

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Photo source: Government Communications Department

 

Prince Albert and Princess Charlene open new indoor playground in Monaco

Prince Albert II and Princess Charlene inaugurated ‘Little Wonders’, Monaco’s new indoor playground for young children, on Thursday morning alongside Princess Stéphanie, Camille Gottlieb and Louis Ducruet.

The family-friendly venue, created by two young mothers Marie Ducruet and Elise Rouillard, is designed to stimulate development, creativity and curiosity in children aged 0 to 7.

The space caters to both children and parents, offering areas where families can meet, interact and accompany their children through early developmental discoveries.

Designed by mothers for families

Marie Ducruet, wife of Louis Ducruet—son of Princess Stéphanie and nephew of Prince Albert II—and her friend Elise Rouillard conceived the project as working mothers who understood the need for safe, stimulating indoor environments for young children in Monaco.

The princely family toured the facility, which features multiple zones tailored to different ages and activities.

Facilities include a play structure, a mini-city for imaginative play, a motor skills area designed for babies, dedicated reading and construction zones, and a family café.

The entire venue can be privatized for birthday parties and special events.

First testers

Victoire and Constance, the young daughters of Louis and Marie Ducruet, were among the first to test the new playground during the inauguration.

The facility will open to the public in the coming days, adding a new indoor recreation option for families with young children in the principality.

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Photos: Frédéric Nebinger / Palais Princier

Trump backs down on Greenland tariffs after NATO “framework agreement”

US President Donald Trump abruptly reversed course on Wednesday, scrapping threatened tariffs against European nations after announcing a “framework” deal with NATO over Arctic security.

The dramatic turnaround came hours after Trump used his World Economic Forum speech in Davos to demand Greenland and threaten the cohesion of NATO.

In a post on Truth Social, Trump said he had agreed with NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte on a framework that “gets everything we wanted, including especially real national security and international security.”

He added that based on this understanding, he would not impose tariffs scheduled to take effect on 1st February.

From threats to backtrack

Trump had threatened tariffs of up to 25% on eight European countries, including Denmark and France, over their resistance to US control of Greenland. The levies were to start at 10% next month and climb to 25% in June.

His Davos speech appeared on the verge of rupturing NATO, with Trump suggesting the alliance wouldn’t defend the US if needed and demanding territory he described as “cold and poorly located”.

“We probably won’t get anything unless I decide to use excessive strength and force, where we would be frankly unstoppable. But I won’t do that, OK?” Trump said during his address.

Golden Dome and military bases

According to AP, Trump said “additional discussions” on Greenland concerned the Golden Dome missile defense program, a multilayered $175 billion system that will for the first time put US weapons in space.

Trump offered few details on the framework, saying they were still being worked out. However, one idea NATO members have discussed involves Denmark and the alliance working with the US to build more American military bases on Greenland, according to a European official familiar with the matter who spoke to AP on condition of anonymity.

It remained unclear if this proposal was included in Trump’s announced framework.

Trump described the agreement as a “forever deal” in an interview with CNBC, though he provided minimal specifics about what it entails beyond improved security arrangements.

European relief

Danish Foreign Minister Lars Løkke Rasmussen welcomed Trump ruling out taking “Greenland by force” and pausing “the trade war with Europe”.

“Now, let’s sit down and find out how we can address the American security concerns in the Arctic while respecting the red lines of the Kingdom of Denmark,” he said in a statement, according to AFP.

Netherlands Prime Minister Dick Schoof called Trump’s move a sign of “de-escalation”, while Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni said it was “essential to continue and promote dialogue between allied nations.”

NATO’s Rutte told AFP that “much work remained” on Greenland following the talks. When asked if Denmark would continue to control the territory, he said the subject of sovereignty “did not come up”.

Markets rebound, Greenland prepares

Financial markets that had fallen sharply on Trump’s threatened tariffs bounced back Wednesday following the reversal.

Before the backdown, Greenland’s government had responded by telling citizens to prepare for crisis. It published a handbook urging residents to ensure they have sufficient food, water, fuel and supplies to survive five days.

“We just went to the grocery store and bought the supplies,” Tony Jakobsen in Greenland’s capital Nuuk told AP, displaying candles, snacks and toilet paper.

Another resident, Johnny Hedemann, called it “insulting” that Trump “talks about the Greenlandic people and the Greenlandic nation as just an ice cube.”

During his speech, Trump mistakenly referred to Greenland as Iceland four times.

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Photo credit: Evangeline Shaw, Unsplash