Alpes-Maritimes firm RedFX joins global ocean cleanup initiative

RedFX, based in Alpes-Maritimes, has announced a partnership with 4ocean, the ocean cleanup organisation, becoming a Certified Cleanup Partner in efforts to tackle plastic pollution in waterways worldwide. The collaboration will contribute to the removal of more than 5,700 kilograms of plastic and debris by 4ocean’s full-time crews operating across global coastlines.

The partnership comes as plastic waste increasingly affects Mediterranean waters, with the sea surrounding the French Riviera among those impacted by the estimated 10 million tonnes of plastic entering the world’s oceans annually.

Professional cleanup operations

Since 2017, Florida-based 4ocean has removed more than 49 million pounds of plastic waste from waterways through its professional captain and crew operations. “It’s one of the greatest environmental challenges of our time,” said Alex Schulze, CEO of 4ocean. “With our partners, such as RedFX, we have the power to change that story.”

The organisation employs full-time teams to conduct cleanup operations in oceans, rivers and coastal areas, with the waste collected preventing further damage to marine ecosystems.

Regional impact

Kevin Tullett, founder of RedFX, said the partnership represents an opportunity for regional companies to support ocean health. “Our partnership with 4ocean allows RedFX to make a tangible and sustainable contribution to our planet,” he said.

The initiative follows increased attention to ocean health, including the recent documentary ‘Ocean’ featuring Sir David Attenborough, which highlighted challenges facing marine ecosystems. The ocean covers 70% of Earth’s surface, with plastic waste and debris found on coastlines globally, from the Mediterranean to the Pacific.

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Photo credit: Naja Bertolt Jensen, Unsplash

 

Canada and France open Greenland consulates amid US territorial tensions

Canada and France formally opened diplomatic consulates in Greenland’s capital Nuuk on Friday, demonstrating support for Denmark following US President Donald Trump’s attempts to secure control of the semi-autonomous Arctic territory.

Canada’s Foreign Minister Anita Anand travelled to Nuuk to inaugurate the consulate, accompanied by Indigenous Governor General Mary Simon. Canada had promised to open the consulate in 2024 – before Trump’s territorial claims – but the formal inauguration was delayed from November due to bad weather.

France’s foreign ministry announced that Jean-Noël Poirier would take up duties as consul general, making France the first EU country to establish a consulate general in Greenland. The decision was taken during President Emmanuel Macron’s visit to Greenland in June 2024.

Escalating US demands

The openings follow weeks of escalating rhetoric from Washington. Trump announced in January he would impose tariffs on Denmark and seven other European countries opposing his Greenland takeover calls, only to abruptly drop the threats after claiming a “framework” for a deal had been reached with NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte’s help. Few details have emerged.

Technical talks began last week between the US, Denmark and Greenland to develop an Arctic security arrangement. The discussions follow a meeting between Danish and Greenlandic foreign ministers with US Vice President JD Vance and Secretary of State Marco Rubio.

Allied support for Danish sovereignty

Anand met Danish Foreign Minister Lars Løkke Rasmussen on Thursday, stating that “as Arctic nations, Canada and the Kingdom of Denmark are working together to strengthen stability, security and cooperation across the region.”

France indicated Poirier would deepen cooperation with Greenland on cultural, scientific and economic matters while strengthening political ties with local authorities.

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Photo credit: Visit Greenland, Unsplash

 

Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo unveils 40th anniversary season

Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo is celebrating its 40th anniversary with an extraordinary programme of performances running from February to July, filled with both new creations and beloved classics. 

The season kicks off with ‘Miniatures’, a world premiere running from 16th to 19th April at the Salle Garnier of l’Opera de Monte-Carlo. The production pairs contemporary composers with choreographers from the company in an innovative format where music is created first, then presented to choreographers to interpret through movement.

Five choreographers will each create short ballets for the production, set to new music written specifically for the project. Four of them: Francesco Nappa, Jeroen Verbruggen, Julien Guérin, and Mimoza Koike are former dancers of Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo who have since become choreographers. They will be joined by the company’s artistic director, Jean-Christophe Maillot. The concept revives a format first explored in 2004.

Core Meu returns in extended version

From 28th to 30th April at the Grimaldi Forum, audiences will be able to experience an extended version of Jean-Christophe Maillot’s Core Meu. The high-energy production is inspired by the traditional tarantella folk dance of Southern Italy and features 50 dancers performing alongside live musicians Antonio Castrignanò and Taranta Sounds.

The production builds to a Dionysian crescendo over 70 minutes, blending classical ballet with folk traditions. A workshop will be offered on 29th April for those interested to learn the choreography.

During rehearsals of the Miniatures performance, photo credit: Alice Blangero – Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo 

Academy showcase and anniversary gala

The Académie Princess Grace, now in its 50th year, will present its annual end of year gala on 19th and 20th June at the Salle Garnier. The performances showcase students from the prestigious dance school, including both new talents and those graduating to join international ballet companies.

Then, the season’s centrepiece arrives on 3rd and 4th July with a surprise anniversary gala at the Grimaldi Forum celebrating 40 years of Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo. While the full programme remains secret, organisers promise “a procession of dancers, choreographers, musicians and artists who contributed to writing the history of the company.”

Monaco Dance Forum

Shortly after, the Monaco Dance Forum arrives with two major productions. First, La Compagnie Humaine presents ‘Waku Doki’ on 10th and 11th July at the Salle Garnier, a new creation by choreographer Éric Oberdorff that blends dance with immersive digital technology.

Following, the season culminates with the prestigious Ballet d’Opera National de Paris performing John Neumeier’s legendary ‘La Dame aux Camélias’ from 17th to 19th July at the Grimaldi Forum. The Paris Opera Ballet will be accompanied by the Monte-Carlo Philharmonic Orchestra in this romantic classic featuring star dancers including Étoile Léonore Baulac.

International tours continue

Beyond Monaco, Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo will tour throughout Europe and Asia, visiting cities including Cannes, Cremona, Udine, Parma, Madrid, Riga, Seoul, and more. The company continues to present Maillot’s repertoire including Cinderella, Romeo and Juliet, and LAC on major international stages.

Tickets for the performances are available through montecarloticket.com. and at box offices at the Casino (+377 92 00 13 70) and at the Grimaldi Forum (+377 99 99 30 00).

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Main photo credit: Alice Blangero – Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo 

Italy’s Bande Nere triumph in brutal medieval combat at Monaco’s big top

Armoured fighters delivered bone crunching combat at the Chapiteau de Fontvieille on Saturday evening, with Italy’s Bande Nere eventually winning the Malizia buhurt tournament. 

The big top was filled with spectators who watched 10 teams from France, Italy and Spain battle it out in seven-versus-seven full contact medieval combat, their cheers rising as warriors clashed with blunted weapons in historically accurate armour.

While the spectacle might have appeared chaotic to the untrained eye, buhurt is in fact a highly tactical and strategic discipline. Each fighter has a specific role and position, with individual combat techniques woven into broader team strategies that draw on elements of rugby and judo.

Italy’s Bande Nere fought with particular rigour throughout the evening, their intensity and coordination setting them apart from the other teams.

During the battles, photo credit: Stéphane Danna, Communications Department 

The Italian squad ultimately claimed first place, with France’s Les Comtois taking second and La Confrérie des Loups finishing third. Philippe Rebaudengo and Evgeny Strzhalkovskiy, founder of the Magna Carta project, presented the awards.

Adding to the medieval atmosphere, the wives and children of the fighters attended in period clothing, showing their support and adding to the spirit of the event.

The tournament serves as the opening stage of Magna Carta’s 2026 calendar, which brings together over 25 teams from four continents.

See more in our video reel below…

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Main photo credit: Stéphane Danna, Communications Department 

Hidden Grimaldi dynasty frescoes to be revealed to international scholars

Remarkable Renaissance frescoes hidden for centuries beneath the ceilings of Monaco’s Prince’s Palace will be unveiled to international scholars and the public during a three-day conference from 19th to 21st March, marking the culmination of a decade-long restoration project.

What began in 2013 as straightforward decorative maintenance evolved into an extraordinary archaeological discovery when restoration teams uncovered a complete ensemble of late Renaissance frescoes across the palace ceilings. The works compose a monumental visual allegory of Grimaldi family history from the 16th century onwards, previously unknown and hidden from view for generations.

Prince Albert II will officially open the conference, titled ‘Images of a Renaissance Sovereignty: Ten Years of Discoveries and Restoration’, which brings together art historians, restorers, scientists and heritage specialists from across Europe. The event is free to attend but requires reservation, with simultaneous translation in French, English and Italian.

Photo credit: Sarah Steck, Prince’s Palace

Three days exploring hidden masterpieces

The conference runs across three days at the Oceanographic Museum, ending with guided tours of the restored frescoes at the Prince’s Palace on the final day.

Thursday 19th March explores how the Grimaldi dynasty established itself over three centuries, including how the palace evolved from medieval fortress to Renaissance showpiece, nearly fell into ruin, then was brought back to life in the 19th century. The afternoon looks at the close ties between Genoa and Monaco in the 1500s, with new discoveries from the archives and comparisons with similar Genoese palaces.

Friday 20th March focuses on how the restoration actually happened – the techniques used to create the original frescoes, the challenges of touching them up without damaging them, and what restorers learned from similar projects in Rome and Pisa. Technical sessions show how laser cleaning works, how to protect historic facades, and how to develop environmentally friendly restoration materials. The day ends with hands-on workshops demonstrating watercolour preparation and restoration techniques.

Public access to restored palace

Saturday 21st March offers guided tours of the restored frescoes at the Prince’s Palace from 10am to 12:30pm, allowing the public to see firsthand the treasures that have emerged from a decade of work.

All reservations can be made at visitepalaisdemonaco.com/colloquefresques, by phone at +377 97 97 23 80, or by email at colloquefresques@mci.mc.

See also: 

Forgotten Renaissance frescoes uncovered in the Prince’s Palace

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Main photo: Frescoes restored in the Throne Room of the Prince’s Palace, credit: Mael Voyer Gadin, Prince’s Palace

Charles Leclerc’s Pokémon Super Bowl ad goes viral with Arcanine reveal

One of Super Bowl LX’s most unexpected moments came not from the game itself, but from a commercial celebrating 30 years of Pokémon that featured Ferrari driver Charles Leclerc alongside pop culture icons in a viral advertisement that exploded across social media.

Aired during one of the year’s most-watched advertising slots, the Pokémon commercial titled ‘What’s Your Favourite?’ features international celebrities sharing their beloved Pokémon in a nostalgic and playful atmosphere.

The star-studded lineup includes Lady Gaga discussing her love for Jigglypuff and its vocal range, Trevor Noah talking about Psyduck, BLACKPINK’s Jisoo and footballer Lamine Yamal. But Leclerc’s appearance created the biggest surprise for internet users.

In the advertisement, the Formula 1 driver enthusiastically explains why he appreciates Arcanine for its legendary speed and unwavering loyalty – values that resonate with motorsport fans. The angle created immediate buzz as F1 enthusiasts and the Pokémon community rushed to watch the video after its publication on the official Pokémon YouTube channel.

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.