The 28th Monte Carlo Rally Historique concluded with high drama as 244 crews navigated the challenging but legendary alpine routes under a new format featuring closed roads for the first time.
From six starting points across Europe including JohnO’Groats in Scotland, Bad Homburg in Germany, Barcelona, Turin, Reims, and the Principality itself, the historic rally cars converged on Valence before tackling the competitive stages.
Notable competitors included 1988 Monte Caro Rally winner Bruno Saby in a Renault 5 Turbo, former Formula 1 driver Takuma Sato, and defending champions Michel Decremer and Jennifer Hugo.
Turini decides victory
The rally’s fate was sealed on the Col de Turini as Spanish crew Climent Asensio and Jimenez Valls, sitting fourth overall with just two stages remaining, stormed through the night stage to claim an unlikely victory in their 1981 BMW 323i.
After completing the final mountain stages on 7th February, the crews returned to Monaco for the official finish at 12:25am, with the awards ceremony held later that evening at the Monte-Carlo Sporting.
“We are over the moon,” said Climent Asensio. “This year, second place was not an option.”
The victory marked redemption for the Spanish pair, who finished runners-up in the 2025 driving the same car.
Of the 244 starters, 204 crews were classified at the finish. French crew Ludovic De Luca and Sébastien Chol finished second overall in a Peugeot 104 ZS, with Monaco’s Olivier and Lydia Campana claiming third in their Volkswagen Golf GTI, marking their first podium on the historic event.
The 25th Winter Olympics opened on Friday 6th February with a ceremony at Milan’s San Siro Stadium accompanied by multiple festivities at venues across the Italian Alps in Cortina, Predazzo and Livigno, marking the start of more than two weeks of competition featuring 92 nations and nearly 3,000 athletes.
Earlier in the day and before the main ceremony kicked off, Prince Albert II attended a reception of heads of state at the Palazzo Reale in Milan, hosted by Italian President Sergio Mattarella alongside Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni.
At the reception, photo credit: Quirinale
Then in the afternoon, the opening ceremony took place at Milan’s packed San Siro Stadium with the spectacular parade of nations.
However, the evening saw an unusual moment when Monaco’s flag was carried not by an athlete but by a lucky Olympic volunteer, as the principality’s sole competitor, alpine skier Arnaud Alessandria, had opted to rest ahead of his race the following morning. The ceremony traditionally concluded with the lighting of the Olympic flame, officially opening the Games.
Prince Albert presenting the Olympic medals
Competition began the following day with the men’s downhill on Bormio’s challenging Stelvio piste and the men’s snowboard big air at Livigno’s snow park. Prince Albert II later had the honour of presenting the medals at the awards ceremonies.
Prince Albert at the awards ceremony, photo credit: Christian Petersen / Cameron Spencer / Getty Images
In the downhill, Switzerland’s Franjo von Allmen claimed gold ahead of two Italian skiers, Giovanni Franzoni and Dominik Paris, who took silver and bronze respectively in front of their home crowd.
Japan enjoyed a dominant performance in the men’s snowboard big air, with Kira Kimura winning gold and Ryoma Kimata securing silver. China’s Su Yiming rounded out the podium with bronze.
Prince Albert presenting the awards at the men’s snowboard big air category, photo credit: Christian Petersen / Cameron Spencer / Getty Images, courtesy of Monaco Olympics Committee
Pride in Monaco’s representative
Speaking after Alessandria’s 31st place finish in the downhill, Prince Albert expressed his pride in the Monegasque skier’s achievement.
“Arnaud delivered a fine descent,” he said. “Obviously, he is a little disappointed – with very good conditions on Saturday, he would have liked to be able to express himself more on this piste. But we must also remember where he was six months ago. He was in full recovery after major surgery, with two operations for herniated discs. He probably still lacks a bit of competition, but to return to this level under these conditions is remarkable. I am very proud of what he has accomplished and very happy to see him rediscover these emotions and these Olympic joys.”
Prince Albert with Arnaud Alessandria, photo credit: Stéphan Maggi/ Comité Olympique Monégasque
The Prince’s perspective comes from personal experience. As a veteran of five Winter Olympics in bobsleigh, he carried Monaco’s flag at the Opening Ceremonies in 1988, 1994, and 1998.
“Being flag bearer for one’s country, as I had the honour of being, is an absolute exceptional moment,” he said.
Now, looking ahead to Alessandria’s super-G race on Wednesday, the Prince remained optimistic. “This is very encouraging for the super-G on Wednesday,” he said. “I am convinced he can achieve a very good result.”
Supporting the Monegasque delegation
Prince Albert II’s presence at the Games carried particular significance for Monaco’s Olympic team. As President of the Monaco Olympic Committee, the Prince regularly travels to support the Principality’s athletes at major international competitions.
Prince Albert II with the Monaco Olympic Committee, photo credit: Stéphan Maggi / Comité olympique monégasque
Yvette Lambin Berti, Secretary General of the Monaco Olympic Committee, highlighted the importance of the Prince’s attendance at Bormio and also congratulated on her side Alessandria on his performance in the demanding downhill event.
The Winter Olympics continue now across the Italian venues until the Closing Ceremony on 22nd February
Valentin Vacherot delivered the defining moment in Monaco’s Davis Cup history on Saturday, upsetting Kazakhstan’s Alexander Bublik to secure promotion to World Group I for the first time.
The 27-year-old produced a nerveless performance against world No. 10 Bublik, firing an ace out wide to close out a 7-6(4) 7-6(7) victory on his fifth match point before being engulfed by celebrating teammates. The result gave Monaco an unassailable 3-1 lead in the World Group I Play-off tie in Astana and confirmed their promotion to the competition’s second tier.
Vacherot’s win followed a dramatic doubles victory for Romain Arneodo and Hugo Nys, who defeated Bublik and Beibit Zhukayev 6-7(1) 7-6(6) 7-6(5) after the Kazakhs held two match points.
The triumph marks another milestone in Vacherot’s meteoric rise, arguably the standout story in men’s tennis in recent times. Monaco now accedes to World Group I, bringing the summit of the Davis Cup pyramid significantly closer.
The Grimaldi Forum hosted the government’s fourth edition of Monaco pour L’Emploi on Friday, drawing thousands of candidates looking for employment in Monaco.
Monaco Life’s Kyriaki Topalidou talked to recruiters behind the polished stands from sectors as diverse as yachting, hospitality and private equity, and they shared a surprising consensus: the perfect candidate isn’t necessarily the one with the most impressive CV.
“For us, what is most important is the attitude,” said Aurélie Arent, co-founder of Athos Partners, a private equity firm attending the forum for the first time. “We believe anyone can always learn, but attitude is something that is more difficult to change.”
Her firm seeks analysts with top business school backgrounds and at least two years in strategic consulting or investment banking, yet she highlighted what matters most: “We love to see people who take ownership, who act as if they are working in their own company, and are proactive and thriving in what they do.”
The preparation problem
Multiple recruiters also identified the same critical mistake: candidates arriving without basic knowledge of the company they’re approaching.
Hugo Debast, recruiting for Hill Robinson’s yacht and villa operations in Antibes, was blunt about the issue. “A lot of candidates come here without a clear idea what they’re looking for,” he said. “I think it’s better to see less companies and approach them with a clear idea of what they are doing. Everybody has a phone in their pocket. They can Google what the company is before coming and asking, ‘What are you doing, and what is your job?'”
Hill Robinson’s stand, photo credit: Monaco Life.
Isabelle Walker from the Société des Bains de Mer, which operates Monaco’s luxury hotels and restaurants, shared the same view. “I think it’s important to know a little bit about our establishments, since we have many – and in many different sectors. So, the moment you show that you know the company, it’s already a very good sign.”
Transferrable skills trump narrow experience
For luxury sector employers, adaptability matters as much as expertise. Debast outlined what Hill Robinson seeks: transferable skills like IT capabilities, people skills, hospitality experience and languages, combined with the right mindset. “People must be passionate and ready to learn different things,” he said. “There is never a one-job-fits-all.”
The SBM is currently seeking cooks and kitchen staff for the seasonal period, but Walker stressed personality over credentials. “We’re looking for people who have personality and interpersonal skills. It’s important in our professions since we’re in excellence. So, someone who combines these two skills would be very welcome to join our team.”
Arent added that she values candidates who demonstrate high energy and think proactively. “I like people who already think as if they would be here and what they can do.”
Lastly, Walker’s advice was simple but important. “Above all, talk about yourself and make people want to work with you, because for us, the goal is to get to know people and to be able to work with them if the feeling is right.”
Monaco is celebrating the 20th anniversary of its Washington embassy in 2026 with a year-long programme highlighting the depth of ties between the Principality and the United States, coinciding with America’s 250th independence anniversary and the wedding of Princess Grace and Prince Rainier III 70 years ago.
The Principality will use the convergence of these three anniversaries to highlight cultural and diplomatic ties built over generations. Monaco plans to sign a memorandum of understanding this spring with America 250, the bipartisan organisation coordinating national independence celebrations. The ceremony will take place at the Ambassador’s Residence – the former home of Warren G. Harding, America’s 29th president – followed by a reception.
Princess Grace legacy returns to spotlight
The embassy will develop a cultural initiative with the Princess Grace Foundation-USA and the Smithsonian exploring the late princess’s legacy. Philadelphia, Grace Kelly’s birthplace, will receive particular attention during events planned across Washington, New York and other American cities throughout the year.
The 1956 marriage between Prince Rainier III and the Hollywood actress created lasting cultural connections between Monaco and the United States that extend beyond typical diplomatic relationships. Monaco officials view the anniversary as opportunity to showcase this bond through institutional meetings, cultural gatherings and philanthropic initiatives.
Monaco plans to issue commemorative stamps as part of the America 250 celebrations, marking the friendship between the two nations.
Two decades of diplomatic presence
Monaco established its Washington embassy in 2006, creating a mission that now serves as focal point for bilateral relations spanning commerce, culture, environmental cooperation and shared values. The small Mediterranean principality has used the embassy to facilitate partnerships on ocean conservation and climate action while supporting its economic interests in American markets.
Programme details will be released on monacoeventsusa.com throughout the year as events are finalised.
Monaco will transform the Espace Léo Ferré into an interactive exploration of women’s lives on Friday 6th March, with the third edition of POWHER challenging visitors to unlock clues about inequality while creating collective art and celebrating female athletes.
Visitors will navigate a treasure hunt through different life stages – from childhood to senior years – collecting clues to discover a password that grants access to the finish line. There, artist Mr One Teas has created an interactive collective artwork where participants contribute to the piece and take home a personalised souvenir.
“I wanted to propose an installation that echoes a fundamental struggle: that of equality, carried every day by women, in sport as in all areas of society,” explains Mr One Teas, who serves as ambassador for women’s rights.
The journey tackles topics many events avoid: sports stereotypes, first menstruation, treatment of female-specific pathologies, and what legacy current generations leave behind. Monaco associations and organisations will station themselves throughout the space, ready to answer questions visitors might hesitate to ask elsewhere.
Sportswomen take centre stage
Photographer Sébastien Salamand, known as Le Turk, has captured Monaco sportswomen in action across six disciplines: rugby, football, basketball, judo, athletics and gymnastics. The exhibition places female athletic achievement at the event’s visual heart, challenging assumptions about women in sport.
“This event aims to show the differences that exist in the life cycles of women and men, as well as the inequalities that can result from them,” explains Céline Cottalorda, Interministerial Delegate for Women’s Rights. “The event is intended to be fun but also informative, addressing themes people don’t always discuss openly.”
Sport provides the thematic thread running through the day – not as entertainment, but as lens for examining how society treats girls and women differently from boys and men throughout their lives.
Students debate equality before live audience
The day culminates at 6pm with an eloquence competition inside the National Council chamber, where Monaco lycée students will present arguments on ‘A Story of Equality: From Ego to Equals’. The competition will be broadcast live on Monaco Info, bringing teenage perspectives on gender equality to wider audiences.
Registration for student participants remains open until 15th February, giving would-be competitors two weeks to craft their arguments.
Now in its third year, POWHER has evolved from a single-day awareness event into an annual fixture that uses interactive formats to tackle subjects traditional conferences often render dry. The treasure hunt format ensures visitors engage with content actively rather than passively absorbing information from panels and speeches.
The free event runs from 11am to 5pm at Espace Léo Ferré, with the evening eloquence competition shifting to the National Council chamber at 6pm. No registration required for general attendance.