Weather
20 ° C
20°C
Breaking News

29 Covid cases 16 May, 6 hospitalised - 3 res, 45 home monitored, 11,922 recoveries, 57 deaths, 207 incidence rate, 71.7% vaccinated

Back to school protocol outlined for Monaco

Back to school protocol outlined for Monaco

By Stephanie Horsman - September 3, 2021

When students in Monaco return to school on Monday, little will change in terms of health protocol, says the government, especially when it comes to the health pass.

Commissioner General in charge of the Department of National Education, Youth and Sports, Isabelle Bonnal, who is overseeing her 11th rentrée, held a press conference Thursday regarding the upcoming return to classes, saying, “I am confident, we have put in a lot of work for back-to-school as you can imagine, for six months in advance for the 5,715 students who with be returning Monday morning.”

The new regulations for this school year will be familiar as the health protocols remain similar to last year. According to Ms Bonnal, “the measures having demonstrated their effectiveness” in the past will, by and large, be carried into the future.

Masks will be obligatory for pupils starting in first grade, and hygiene rules will continue. Hand washing several times per day, use of anti-viral gel, limited mixing, respect for social distancing and frequent cleaning of ventilation systems are some of the main features highlighted for the year.

But one of the biggest differences in Monaco from neighbouring France is the health pass. “The government has decided that access to schools will not be conditional on the presentation of a health pass, both for students and for staff,” Ms Bonnal said.

Kindergarten classes will be immediately sent home with a single positive case as they are not required to wear masks. For older students, if three pupils from the same class test positive, then the class will be sent home. “If a person is considered to be a high-risk contact case, they will be evicted whether or not they are vaccinated,” said the Commissioner.

Catering will follow last year’s protocols, and mask wearing will be necessary for indoor sport, though “the establishments will do everything in their power to ensure that the vast majority of sports lessons are given outdoors, in playgrounds for example,” said Ms Bonnal.

On the non-health front, there will be some changes to the national education curriculum with regards to language. From the beginning of the school year “second year students of the European and international sections of the Albert I Lycée will be able to follow, on an experimental basis, optional teaching in English in mathematics and / or physics and chemistry,” said Ms Bonnal, adding, “This is in order to meet the expectations of students who, after the baccalaureate, move towards scientific studies in foreign universities.”

Other new additions will be the offer of learning Greek, in addition to Latin, from 8th grade.

The Adapted General and Vocational Education Section (SEGPA) students will continue to benefit from the use of laptops distributed by the schools, before then giving access to laptops to the students of Albert I during the first semester. New state financial aid services will also go online in 2022. “We would like to facilitate the procedures and reduce the processing time even if the paper process will remain possible,” said Ms Bonnal on this point.

2022 marks the 100-year anniversary of the death of Albert I and students will benefit from several activities such as musical events put on by the Monaco Philharmonic Orchestra, film screenings at the Audio-Visual Institute, and workshops at the Oceanographic Museum.

Ms Bonnal also made clear her pride in the students and teachers of the Principality who achieved excellent results last year, despite the hardships, but reminded them that they need to keep working hard. “Let’s not forget, there is no easy success.” 

 

 

 

Photo source: Unsplash

 

 

 

shares
SHARE
Sign up to our newsletter
Loading
Previous articleMYS Series: The Superyacht Broker
Next articleAutumn events coming to Espace Léo Ferré

daily

Stephanie Horsman

Monaco welcomed four new Ambassadors to town this week, given a warm reception by first the Prince, then by the Minister for External Relations and Cooperation, who treated them to lunch.

0
Stephanie Horsman

Artificial tide pools were created in 2019 at water level in front of the Fontvieille Port as part of the government’s ongoing ecological restoration programme. The first results have just been revealed.

0
May 18, 2022 | Local News

Roca Team learn play-off opponents

Luke Entwistle

The Betclic Elite regular season has wrapped-up and AS Monaco Basketball’s defeat against Cholet was ultimately inconsequential to the final ranking, as they prepare to face Strasbourg in the play-offs.

0
Luke Entwistle

Francesco Totti is the latest blockbuster name to be confirmed for next Tuesday’s World Stars Football Match, joining a whole grid’s worth of Formula 1 greats, both past and present.

0