Breaking News

6 Covid cases 17 June, 3 hospitalised, 1 in ICU, 35 home monitored, 2,473 recoveries, 33 deaths, 44 incidence rate, 54% eligible population vaccinated

Barclays partners up to protect the seas

Barclays partners up to protect the seas

By Stephanie Horsman - July 30, 2020

Barclays bank has teamed up with the Blue Marine Foundation to help with their goal of making at least 30% of the world’s oceans protected, and the rest sustainably managed, by 2030.

Barclays and Blue Marine Foundation (BLUE), an institutional partner of the Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation, have banded together to save our oceans. By creating marine reserves, restoring habitats and establishing models for sustainable fishing practices, they are taking bold action to ensure the oceans remain living entities for future generations.   

The partnership involves a three year and €5 million commitment to conservation efforts around the world. Specific programmes include the creation and maintenance of Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) for at least 30% of the global ocean by 2030, developing architypes of sustainable fishing practices to be followed by the other 70% to show fisher communities the benefits of low-impact fishing on their hauls and on the environment, and working toward restoring damaged marine habitats to revive and protect vulnerable and threatened species.

Over three billion people worldwide rely on seafood as their primary source of protein and 10% depend on fishing-related industries for their livelihood. The ability of the ocean to “perform” is under threat by global warming, acidification, overfishing, and massive amounts of pollution. If the rate of degeneration keeps up at its current pace, global fisheries will collapse by 2048.

Many leading scientists believe we only have a decade to address the ocean crisis before the harm is irrevocable. 

By putting in place sea sanctuaries and implementing better practices, the chances of the ocean’s survival are far greater. Improvements in fish populations up to 670% have been witnessed in marine protected areas, proving that these measures do work.

 

 

shares
SHARE
Previous articleUpdate on local businesses
Next articleA&K appoint Michael Wale as new CEO

daily

June 18, 2021 | Business & Finance

July reopening of nightclubs in France

Stephanie Horsman

France has said that night clubs will be able to reopen in July, leaving club owners delighted but also concerned about what kind of rules will need to be implemented.

0
June 18, 2021 | Business & Finance

How to celebrate this year’s Festival of the Sea

Stephanie Horsman

The YCM will host June's Festival of the Sea in honour of the patron saint of fishermen, Saint Peter, however the event will be scaled back this year due to health restrictions.  

0
Stephanie Horsman

A new public use facility called A Fabrica has been inaugurated in the heart of Princess Antoinette Park, a space made possible by the generosity of two local donors.

0
June 17, 2021 | Business & Finance

Free from masks, outdoors, from Saturday

Cassandra Tanti

Masks will no longer be mandatory in Monaco from Saturday, with the exception of a few tourist hotspots like Casino Square.

0