Weather
Monte-Carlo, MC
scattered clouds
7.7 ° C
10 °
2.8 °
49%
4.1kmh
35%
Fri
13 °
Sat
13 °
Sun
13 °
Mon
14 °
Tue
13 °
Breaking News

New symposium to highlight the risks human activities expose the oceans to and the threats that those activities pose to human health

Benetton-owned company told to pay more for bridge disaster

Benetton-owned company told to pay more for bridge disaster

By Staff Writer - August 21, 2018

The head of the Italian government has judged “very modest” the sum of 500 million euros proposed by the motorway concessionaire to compensate the victims and rebuild Genoa’s Morandi viaduct which collapsed last week, killing 43 people.

“Given the exorbitant profits that this group has made for years, this envelope could be quadrupled or quintupled,” the Prime Minister told Corriere della Sera.

Morandi Bridge. (Pic: Commons Wikimedia)
Pic: Commons Wikimedia

According to Infrastructure Minister Danilo Toninelli, the Atlantia motorway group, the parent company of Autostrade del Italia, whose Benetton family is the largest shareholder, “has accumulated 10 billion euros in profits (from tolls) over the past 15 years.”

Autostrade claims to be able to build a metal viaduct in eight months in place of the old one, an assertion greeted with skepticism by the government which says it has already received other offers.

shares
SHARE
Previous articleMonaco’s stadium undergoes rolling upgrade
Next articleFurious French drivers destroy more speed cameras

daily

February 19, 2020 | Local News

Monaco Delegation visits Mali

Stephanie Horsman

A delegation from Monaco has visited the African nation of Mali where health, education and civil protection topped the agenda.

0
February 18, 2020 | Local News

Hundreds join in Pink Ribbon Monaco Walk

Cassandra Tanti

The 9th edition of the Pink Ribbon Monaco Walk has been a huge success, with close to 200 participants dressing in pink and supporting a very important cause.

0
January 27, 2020 | Local News

Council honours new police cadets

Cassandra Tanti

The National Assembly has welcomed the latest graduates to the Principality’s Police Force.

0
Stephanie Horsman

An incredible 12-month time lapse video showing the creation of Monaco’s mammoth land extension project has just been released.

0