Weather
Monaco, MC
broken clouds
14.6 ° C
18 °
10 °
41%
2.6kmh
75%
Thu
13 °
Fri
12 °
Sat
12 °
Sun
10 °
Mon
11 °
Breaking News

Alain Ducasse’s restaurant Louis XV honoured for delivering the “perfect dining experience”

Cartier jewellery heist, Monaco authorities satisfied

Cartier jewellery heist, Monaco authorities satisfied

By Nancy Heslin - March 27, 2017

Photo: Manuel Vitali/ Direction de la Communication
Photo: Manuel Vitali/Direction de la Communication

On Monday, March 27, Jacques Dorémieux, Monaco’s Attorney General and Richard Marangoni, Director of Public Safety, held a press briefing on the robbery of the Cartier jewellery store that took place on Saturday, March 25, on Place du Casino.

Five people were directly involved in the heist, three armed men, a driver and an accomplice. Four of the suspects were arrested in less than seven hours after the robbery. This included one arrest at St Paul’s Monte Carlo.

“To date, four arrests have taken place: two robbers, an accomplice responsible for driving the stolen vehicle, and a fourth with a poorly defined role likely to come,” said Mr Dorémieux. A fifth person, the “last robber”, was still wanted and was “being identified” on Monday.

Of the three robbers, one was picked up only four minutes after the robbery. Another fled, and is still on the run. The third suspect was able to find his accomplice, the driver, but as they tried to escape, the stolen car was hit by four gun shots in the front right tire. The suspects then burned the vehicle to avoid leaving any trace, before trying unsuccessfully to steal another car.

One of them eventually found refuge St Paul’s Anglican Church on avenue Grande -Bretagne, where he changed into a Santa jacket before being arrested. The driver hid in the bushes but was finally arrested by the French police on the seaside road at Roquebrune Cap Martin.

The suspected driver of the robbers was charged on Monday night in Nice. The other three men appeared before a judge in Monaco.

The young men, all aged 20-25, are from Vallauris and not previously known to the police.

Mr Dorémieux welcomed the outcome, carried out in full coordination with the French authorities. He said that there were two reasons for being satisfied: The Directorate of Public Safety was able to solve the crime within a few hours, and almost all the jewellery, which is estimated several million euro, was found.

Two saddlebags were recovered by the police soon after the 3:40 pm robbery, abandoned by the perpetrators when they saw the police as they were leaving the Cartier store. This is also when the perpetrators separated.

The third bag was found Monday, around 12:30 pm, on a street in France, where one of the suspects had been arrested between Monaco and France.

Richard Marangoni added that the almost real-time reaction of the Police and the excellence of the policing system contributed to the success of the operation.

There were questions about how the suspects were able to enter Cartier without an alarm sounding, and also on the whereabouts of the fifth person, who may or may not be armed with one of the two guns used in the heist, which is still to be accounted for.

Article first published March 27, 2017.

READ ALSO

Three in custody for Cartier robbery, suspect may have used St Paul’s Church

shares
SHARE
Previous articleCurry fundraiser for Ben and Emily’s 250km race for Diabetes
Next articleRommy Gianni, a real team player

daily

November 11, 2019 | Business & Finance

Hiroshima survivor shares story with Monaco

Stephanie Horsman

A rare survivor of the nuclear blast that effectively ended World War II in the Pacific has spoken to a group of mesmerised students and staff members at Lycée Albert I. Organised by the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN), The high school’s history and geography class were told the incredible and sad true […]

0
October 23, 2019 | Business & Finance

October is breast cancer awareness month

Stephanie Horsman

October has come to be known as ‘Pink October’ and many Monegasque organisations, as well as the government, are supporting the cause. Roughly two million women were diagnosed with breast cancer last year worldwide and of those an estimated 627,000 will die from the disease. That comes out to 15% of all cancer deaths for […]

0
October 22, 2019 | Business & Finance

Monaco Embassies in USA and Canada meet in Seattle

Cassandra Tanti

A joint meeting was held last week between the Monegasque Ambassador to the US and Honorary Consuls from nine major North American cities to discuss collaborative efforts for the next calendar year. Considered one of America’s greenest cities, Seattle was the setting for the confluence and attracted the Monaco representatives for its achievements regarding environmental […]

0
October 22, 2019 | Business & Finance

Tribute to Princess Grace

Cassandra Tanti

The Princess Grace Foundation-USA will be paying tribute to their namesake, Princess Grace of Monaco, during a special fundraising gala this November. The celebration will mark the 90th anniversary of the birth of the Hollywood icon and beloved Princess of Monaco. Known throughout the world as a humanitarian, philanthropist, and artist, Princess Grace was committed to […]

0