Weather
20 ° C
20°C
Breaking News

12 Covid cases 23 May, 5 hospitalised - 4 res, 46 home monitored, 12,009 recoveries, 57 deaths, 271 incidence rate

Monaco lose 2-1 in Champions League game without Turkish supporters

Monaco lose 2-1 in Champions League game without Turkish supporters

By Staff Writer - October 17, 2017

AS Monaco was defeated 2-1 Tuesday night at home against Besiktas Istanbul in a Champions League Group G match. But there would be no fans of the visiting team to cheer on the victory.

The government banned supporters of Besiktas, the Turkish club playing AS Monaco in the Champions League, from entering the Principality for the game on Tuesday night.

Between 15,000 and 20,000 Besiktas fans caused havoc earlier this year when their team was playing at Lyon, which was given as the reason for the ban.

In a statement, the Monegasque government said: “Considering that several incidents in connection with football matches have involved supporters of Besiktas in recent years, and that the reality and gravity of the disturbances to public order committed by the Besiktas supporters are proven; (and) that the risk of violence and damage to property in the territory of the Principality is high (…)

“From Monday, October 16, at midnight on Tuesday, October 17, at midnight, the individual or collective entry, by any means, of persons who appear to be supporters of the football club of Besiktas Jimnastik Kulübü of Istanbul or behaving as such, is prohibited on the territory of the Principality.”

The Official Bulletin of the Principality also referred to the continuing state of emergency in France pertaining to the order.

“The security forces can not be mobilised for the sole organisation of this international sporting event,” the Official Journal said.

The only goal for AS Monaco Tuesday was scored by Falcao at 30′ mark.

Currently in Group G, Besiktas leads with nine points, with Leipzig (four points), Porto (three points) and Monaco (one point) in the race for second.


READ ALSO Cash-back tax deal for Falcao

Photo: Facebook AS Monaco

 

shares
SHARE
Sign up to our newsletter
Loading
Previous articleSweden highlights its strengths to Monaco entrepreneurs
Next articleMonaco hosts “Women in Light” prize-giving on Friday

daily

Luke Entwistle

Speaking ahead of his home Grand Prix this weekend, Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc says that he believes the “poor luck” he has experienced in Monaco, and more recently in Barcelona, will turn around.

0
Luke Entwistle

With the season over, the focus of fans and of sporting directors across Europe has turned to the upcoming transfer window, which is already whirring into action.

0
Stephanie Horsman

An advanced premier screening of the new documentary film on legendary Formula 1 driver Sir Jackie Stewart saw both the man himself and Prince Albert II in attendance at One Monte-Carlo.

0
May 27, 2022 | Business & Finance

Covid-19 uncertainties impact Grand Prix weekend

Luke Entwistle

Decisions taken by the Automobile Club of Monaco (ACM) back in January, when the evolution of the pandemic was unclear, will impact this weekend’s Monaco Grand Prix, notably meaning no fan zones.

0