A chlorine spill at the swimming pool of Charles III College has sent a group of students and staff to hospital and lead to the evacuation of the school.
The accident occurred at around 10am Wednesday morning as technicians were undertaking a routine maintenance of the school’s swimming pool. A chemical reaction is said to have generated toxic vapours that spread to the classrooms, with students in 6e and 5e classes particularly affected.
According to the Monaco government, two maintenance staff and five students were taken to the Princess Grace Hospital Centre and released without concern.
“As a precautionary measure, a partial evacuation of the school building was ordered,” said the government.
School is expected to return to normal on Thursday.
Photo source: Monaco Government