AS Monaco Basketball has announced that their team captain, Dee Bost, is staying in Monaco for the 2020-21 season.
Dee Bost has decided to extend his time in Monaco for at least another season, to the delight of both the team and fans.
The 30-year-old North Carolina native joined the team in 2016 and immediately stood out as a star player in a team full of exceptional talent. In the ill-fated 2019-20 season, he helped lead his team to the quarter-finals of the EuroCup, as well as seeing them firmly in first place for regular season play before the season was cut short by the pandemic.
“The victory over Unics Kazan for the Top 8 qualification remains my best memory of last season. We really had a good card to play in this competition, unfortunately stopped for the reasons we know,” Bost said in a statement on the team website.
Bost played college basketball for Mississippi State university, where he eventually became team captain of the Bulldogs. He was also named to the All-Southeastern Conference team two years running averaging 15.8 points a game.
His professional career began in 2012 where he found himself in Montenegro for a season. He then made several moves before finding himself on the Rock for the 2016-17 season. He moved on again for a few years and found himself drawn back to Monaco in 2019.
Dee Bost is still unbeaten at Gaston-Médecin in Jeep Elite since his return under the umbrella of the Roca Team winning 24 matches out of 24.
Bost’s contentment at remaining in Monaco is evident by his words. “I am very happy with this signing. I spoke with the coach I think we still have a big challenge to take up with the Roca Team and I will be proud to be still the leader of this organization which is very close to my heart.
I feel at home in Monaco, both with the staff, the managers and all the fans. This favourable context weighed heavily in my choice to extend my contract. We’re still going to have great times together, I’m sure and we’ll work hard to make it happen. To all of you, see you soon. Daghe!”
Yoshi fans can now enjoy their favourite Michelin-star cuisine poolside as the Metropole Hotel takes its renowned Japanese restaurant to the Karl Lagerfeld-designed Odyssey rooftop terrace for the summer months.
With people from over 20 countries making up 35 teams competing in three different classes, the Monaco Energy Boat Challenge is taking the ideas of today to create a sustainable boating culture for tomorrow.
The Ligue 1 calendar for the 2022/23 season has been and Monaco Life takes a look at the stand-out fixtures, including a congested August schedule, which will include Champions League play-off matches.
Sign up to our FREE Newsletter
By signing up, you agree to receive daily emails from Monaco Life. We will not, in any circumstances, share your personal information with other individuals or organisations without your permission, including public organisations, corporations or individuals, except when applicable by law. We do not sell, communicate or divulge your information to any mailing lists.
[caption id="attachment_7311" align="alignnone" width="640"] Picasso's Les Demoiselles d'Avignon. Photo: Pete[/caption]
On Monday, October 31, Picasso’s electrician in the 1970s, Pierre Le Guennec, who was found guilty in March 2015 guilty of possessing stolen goods, admitted in a court of appeal in Aix en Provence to lying.
The former electrician and his wife Danielle, who hid 271 Picasso works in their garage for close to 40 years, were charged in a Grasse court 18 months ago for possessing stolen goods, after a trial that made headlines in France and abroad.
“Picasso had total confidence in me. Maybe it was my discretion,” Le Guennec originally told the Grasse court last year. He said that one day, Picasso’s wife Jacqueline, came up to him and gave him a box with the 271 works inside, saying, “this is for you”.
When he got home, he found what he described as “drawings, sketches, crumpled paper”.
Uninterested in the haul, he put the box in his garage and discovered it again decades later in 2009.
In court Monday, however, Le Guennec painted a different story, saying that in 1973 Jacqueline asked him to temporarily store 15 to 17 trash bags full of artwork. In time, she reclaimed all but one of the bags, which she gave to the electrician to keep. He said that Jacqueline “had problems with Claude,” meaning she intended to keep the works from her stepson, “and prevent them from being inventoried and passed on to him”.
At the time of last year’s sentencing the 75-year old mumbled, “ “We’re disappointed.
“We’re honest people. Perhaps we don’t know how to speak ...” he added, before his wife blurted out: “We’re just little people. We don’t have a great name.”
Prosecutors had called for the couple to receive a five-year suspended jail sentence.
The couple’s lawyer, Evelyne Rees, had said she would appeal the verdict.
Pierre Le Guennec insisted throughout that trial that the art legend and his wife gave him the treasure trove when he was working on the last property they lived in before Picasso died in 1973.
He went to Paris the following year to get the works authenticated at the Picasso Administration, but the artist’s heirs promptly filed a complaint against him.
One of the artist’s children, Maya Widmaier-Picasso, said: “It’s a downright cheek to try and make us swallow that story.”
“These works should never have been removed from the estate and from the history of art,” said her half-brother, Claude Ruiz-Picasso.
During the 2015 trial, all 271 works, created between 1900 and 1932, were projected onto a giant screen in respectful silence.
A lot of the evidence during the trial centred around why none of the works were signed, with several witnesses saying the artist would sign everything -- partly to ensure against theft.
According to Gerard Sassier, the son of Picasso’s long-time chambermaid, the artist once said after a theft attempt: “Anyway, nothing can be stolen as nothing is signed.”
The defence argued that it would have been extremely difficult to steal from Picasso as the artist had “an amazing memory” and his property was heavily protected like a “fortress.”
One of the few plaintiffs to have known Le Guennec when he was employed by the Picasso family, the artist’s grand-daughter Catherine Hutin-Blay, acknowledged during the trial that the electrician did have a special relationship with the artist.
“We really trusted him. He was someone who was very familiar in the house and had an absolutely friendly relationship,” she told the court.
The works, which have been unofficially estimated at over €60 million have been seized by authorities and will be returned to the Picasso Administration, which represents the artist’s heirs.
The Le Guennecs could face up to five years in prison and a fine either equal to half the value of the artwork in question, or €375,000, whichever figure ends up being higher.
Article first published November 2, 2016.
[caption id="attachment_26504" align="alignnone" width="640"] Photo: DC[/caption]
Didier Gamerdinger, Monaco’s Minister of Health and Social Affairs, attended the recent annual Open Day of AMAPEI Monaco – the Monegasque Association for the Aid and Protection of Handicapped Children.
This association has been working since 1966, under the tutelage of the Directorate of Health and Social Action, and its president, Jean-François Calmes, has perpetuated its spirit: to help the integration of children and young adults with disabilities.
[caption id="attachment_26502" align="alignnone" width="640"] Prince Albert and Princess Charlene attend AMAPEI Monaco’s 50th anniversary celebrations in 2016. Photo: Facebook AMAPEI Monaco[/caption]
Directly responsible for the management of reception centres – the Princess Stephanie centres in Monaco and La Turbie, and a third in Cap d’Ail – AMAPEI holds activities throughout the year, which are held to promote the development of youngsters with disabilities.
These centres have become important places of initiation, learning and exchange. Last year, Prince Albert and Princess Charlene attended AMAPEI Monaco’s 50th anniversary celebrations.