Brought to you by: Monaco Life
An Italian has been sentenced to two months in jail for attempting to smuggle two diamonds in the belt of his trousers with the intention of selling the precious stones in Monaco. The diamonds were said to have a combined value of almost €400,000.
The defendant’s actions were in violation of the Sovereign Order of 1963 on the Customs Convention between France and Monaco, the Criminal Court was told.
Prosecutor Alexia Brianti called for one year in jail, with an arrest warrant, plus the confiscation of the diamonds, the BMW X3 he was driving when apprehended and his trousers.
The trafficker told the authorities that he had been hiding the stones from his wife and that he had no intention of selling them. The diamonds were intended as a patrimony for his three children, and one boy born out of wedlock, he told the court.
However, the defendant’s record is tainted with multiple convictions between 1973 and 1999 for weapons offences, fraud, smuggling stolen goods, conspiracy, violation of VAT laws and more. Furthermore, his statements on the origin and destination of the precious stones varied throughout the course of his arrest, time in police custody and statements made before the judges.
France has said that night clubs will be able to reopen in July, leaving club owners delighted but also concerned about what kind of rules will need to be implemented.
The YCM will host June's Festival of the Sea in honour of the patron saint of fishermen, Saint Peter, however the event will be scaled back this year due to health restrictions.
A new public use facility called A Fabrica has been inaugurated in the heart of Princess Antoinette Park, a space made possible by the generosity of two local donors.
Masks will no longer be mandatory in Monaco from Saturday, with the exception of a few tourist hotspots like Casino Square.