Radamel Falcao could soon be on his way out of Monaco. After taking his team to victory on Saturday night, the Colombian striker admitted he is considering leaving Ligue 1 if an appealing offer comes along.
Falcao scored the match winner against Sampdoria on Saturday night, giving his team a win in the final ASM preparation match before the start of the League 1 championship on Friday against Lyon. Thousands gathered at the Stade Louis II for the final of the first edition of the Philipp Plein Cup and were also able to witness the first steps of Benjamin Lecomtein his new environment, after joining ASM in July.
But it isn’t Falcao’s goal that has the media buzzing, it is his interview with Monaco Matinafterwards during which the captain revealed that he is looking for a longer deal which will give him more security.
“The truth is that I have one year left on my contract and the club has not offered me an extension,” said the 33-year-old. “So I need to think about my future, my family. I am in the process of assessing the offers that have been made to me. These are good opportunities for my career. I need to think about my family… I have only one year left on my deal and it is complicated for a player of my age. I hope to find a solution for me and for Monaco.”
Asked about the idea of waiting until January to join a free club for the following summer, the Colombian rebuffed: “No, there are good offers.”
Falcao’s comments directly contradict the words of club Director General Oleg Petrov, who just a few days ago told AFP: “Several clubs, not only Galatasaray, are interested in Falcao – our captain and one of our best players. It’s important for us that he stays, unless an exceptional offer comes in. If he leaves, we would need to find a player of his calibre to replace him”.
The club which has been most strongly linked to Falcao is Galatasaray, although there has been talk that he would return to Porto. There is also a chance he could come back to LaLiga, possibly to Valencia, who are looking to strengthen their frontline.
??️ Le but ⚽️ de @FALCAO qui donne la victoire aux Rouge & Blanc face à la Sampdoria ?
— AS Monaco ?? (@AS_Monaco) August 3, 2019
Meanwhile, Monaco are reportedly keen on signing Juventus goalkeeper Mattia Perin after his proposed transfer to Benfica fell through. Perin was all set for Benfica until they pulled out of the deal, citing a shoulder problem in his medical.
Aston Villa then held talks with the 26-year-old last week, but the Premier League side ultimately brought in Tom Heaton from Burnley.
Consequently, according to Gazzetta dello Sport’s Nicolo Schira, this has left the path clear for Monaco to make their move.
Schira explains that a deal could be agreed on the proviso of a season-long loan with a fee and an option to buy next summer.
On the other hand, the Principality outfit recently splashed out €13 million on shot-stopper Benjamin Lecomte, while they still have Danjiel Subasic and Diego Benaglio on their books.