Breaking News

A new positive case of Covid-19 on 23rd May brings confirmed number to 98: 90 cured, 2 hospitalised, 1 resident death, 3 non-resident deaths

Fatal incident in Marseille ‘not terrorist act’

Fatal incident in Marseille ‘not terrorist act’

By Staff Writer - August 21, 2017

Photo: Twitter EUterrornews
Photo: Twitter EUterrornews

Police in Marseille have said that an incident in which a man drove into two bus shelters on Monday morning, killing a 42-year-old woman and seriously injuring a man, was not terrorist-related.

The driver was arrested shortly after the two events, at about 9:30 am. The two bus shelters were in different districts of the city. The 35-year-old man was quickly arrested by the Anti-Crime Brigade (BAC) in the Old Port area this morning. He had arrived from Grenoble to receive psychiatric care in a specialised establishment, La Provence said. The suspect was already known to the police.

“There is no factor leading us to describe this as a terrorist act,” said Xavier Tarabeux, Prosecutor of the Republic of Marseille. At the early stage of the investigation it is not known if the perpetrator had been inspired by the fatal attacks in Barcelona last week, in which a total of 15 victims died.


RELATED ARTICLES

Prince speaks of ‘cruel ordeal’

One year later: Day-long Bastille Day commemoration in Nice Friday

 

shares
SHARE
Previous articleNew COO appointed at Gaslog
Next article#MyMonacoStyle Weekend Report

daily

May 27, 2020 | Lifestyle & Wellbeing

National Council personally thanks testing team

Cassandra Tanti

National Council President Stéphane Valeri has visited the Grimaldi Forum to thank the team behind the screening campaign, while also encouraging more people to take the Covid-19 antibody test. 

0
May 26, 2020 | Lifestyle & Wellbeing

Prince takes antibody test in solidarity

Cassandra Tanti

Prince Albert has been tested at a Covid-19 screening centre in Monaco to raise awareness about the government’s campaign to have as many people of the Principality tested as possible.

0
May 25, 2020 | Lifestyle & Wellbeing

Final students return to classrooms

Cassandra Tanti

Monaco’s primary students made their return to school on Monday, the final group to do so in the government’s three-phase plan to lift the lockdown.

0
May 22, 2020 | Lifestyle & Wellbeing

Monaco stockpiles masks

Stephanie Horsman

The Principality ordered some 11.5 million masks at the height of the crisis. Now those masks are being safely stored by the government for a rainy day.

0