Weather
26 ° C
26°C
19°C
Light Cloud
Breaking News

5 new cases of Covid-19 on 17 Sept. in Monaco brings total to 186: 2 hospitalised, 31 home monitored, 147 healed, 1 resident death

Formula E to finally use full F1 track in 2021

Formula E to finally use full F1 track in 2021

By Cassandra Tanti - July 16, 2020

Formula E will be fought out on the full F1 Monaco street circuit in 2021, and ROKiT Venturi told Monaco Life it will make next year’s race even more special for the Monegasque team.

Formula E will form part of Monaco’s highly anticipated ‘Racing Festival’ next year, a magic trio which will also include the F1 Grand Prix and the Historic Grand Prix.

It will be the fourth time that Formula E has raced in Monaco but the first time it has used the full traditional track.

Previously, the championship used a bypass of the stretch from the Sainte Devote corner round to the tunnel, utilising a link behind the Tabac corner and a hairpin at the harbourfront chicane.

ROKiT Venturi Racing Team Principal Susie Wolff told Monaco Life that the move marks a significant step in the evolution of the 100% electric championship.

“It’s one of motorsport’s most iconic street circuits and as a series that is nearly entirely made up of street racing, I think it’s great that Formula E can now race the entire course. It’s also a sign of how far Formula E has come in terms of technological progress and the profile of the series.”

ROKiT Venturi Racing driver Felipe Massa, Team Principal Susie Wolff and co-driver Edoardo Mortara at the 2020 Mexico City E-prix

Earlier this month, Formula E CEO Jamie Reigle said he had hoped that racing on the main track would be possible next year. On Thursday, series founder Alejandro Agag confirmed it at an ABB virtual press conference.

“I can confirm that we will be racing on the complete circuit of the Monaco Grand Prix,” said the Spaniard, who is currently in Monaco. “I think this is another clear example of the progression of Formula E. I am really looking forward to it.”

The Monaco ePrix has been held every two years since 2015, alternating each season with the Historic Grand Prix.

Thursday’s announcement has given ROKiT Venturi even more reason to be proud of Monaco for hosting the event. “As our home race, anything that adds to the overall excitement and enjoyment of the Monaco ePrix is obviously fantastic for us,” said Ms Wolff. “It’s a race that means a lot to the team and one that our partners really look forward to. And with our newly refurbished headquarters ready, it will make the 2021 race even more special for us.”

Amid suggestions the circuit change may make it difficult for fans to distinguish between F1 and FE, Ms Wolff says the two series are still very different: “The beauty of Formula E is that the event schedule is condensed so fans can enjoy one whole day of non-stop action. Formula 1 takes over Monaco for at least five days, so I think both have their place on their respective calendars.”

In May 2018, the team signed a three-year deal with eleven time Formula One race winner Felipe Massa and rehired seven time Macau World Cup winner Edoardo Mortara as teammate to Massa.

The 2021 FE Championship calendar will kick off on 16th January in Santiago, Chile, before eventually making its way to Monaco on 8th May.

 

Top photo Felipe Massa (BRA), Venturi, EQ Silver Arrow 01 leads Maximilian Günther (DEU), BMW I Andretti Motorsports, BMW iFE.20 and Daniel Abt (DEU), Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler, Audi e-tron FE06 during the Mexico City E-prix at Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez on February 15, 2020 in Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez, Mexico. Photos courtesy RROKiT Venturi for use by Monaco Life.

 

 

shares
SHARE
Previous articleCARE reviews first files
Next articleWhat it was like being a Bac student in 2020

daily

September 18, 2020 | Local News

Business climate continues to decline

Stephanie Horsman

The latest survey by IMSEE has revealed that the business climate continued to weaken in July, though retail trade and the auto commerce and repair sectors saw slight improvements.

0
September 18, 2020 | Local News

Nice tightens restrictions

Cassandra Tanti

The City of Nice has taken further action to limit the rapid spread of Covid-19, toughening rules on socialising and bars.

0
September 18, 2020 | Local News

Monaco Maritime Affairs unveils new boat

Stephanie Horsman

Vitamar III, the newest vessel to be launched by the Maritime Affairs Department, has been unveiled to much fanfare including a traditional baptism.

0
Cassandra Tanti

Transavia has announced its first five domestic routes that include a new run between Nice Côte d’Azur and Nantes Atlantique airports starting in November.

0