Brought to you by: Pastor Real Estate & Barclays
As part of European Immunisation Week, which kicked off on Wednesday, the Prince’s Government is reminding everyone that vaccines are effective and everyone of all ages should be vaccinated.
Organised by the World Health Organization, European Immunisation Week runs from 24th to 30th April, with the aim of raising awareness about vaccines and promoting their use.
“Each year, vaccination makes it possible to prevent a large number of contagious diseases and reduce their effects, and also to avoid contamination of the rest of the population, via herd immunity, which is essential for protecting the most vulnerable,” said the government in a statement.
“It is the best and sometimes the only protection against certain rare but serious diseases.”
The theme this year is Protected Together: Vaccines Work!, and the campaign will celebrate Vaccine Heroes from around the world, from parents and community members to health workers and innovators.
In 2017, the number of children immunised – 116.2 million – was the highest ever reported. Since 2010, 113 countries have introduced new vaccines, and more than 20 million additional children have been vaccinated.
But despite the gains, all of the targets for disease elimination including measles, rubella, and maternal and neonatal tetanus, are behind schedule, and over the last two years the world has seen multiple outbreaks of measles, diphtheria and various other vaccine-preventable diseases. Most of the children missing out are those living in the poorest, marginalised and conflict-affected communities.
“In order for everyone, everywhere to survive and thrive, countries must intensify efforts to ensure all people receive the lifesaving benefits of vaccines,” said WHO. “Additionally, those countries that have achieved or made progress towards the goals must work to sustain the progress they have made.”
The main goal of the 2019 campaign is to raise awareness about the critical importance of full immunisation throughout life.
“Vaccination is essential for the health of individuals and for public health; it provides a level of preventive protection that is essential for the well-being of the population,” said the Princely Government. “Being vaccinated and keeping up to date with essential boosters are acts of solidarity – it is everyone’s responsibility to preserve the health of all.”
A rare survivor of the nuclear blast that effectively ended World War II in the Pacific has spoken to a group of mesmerised students and staff members at Lycée Albert I. Organised by the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN), The high school’s history and geography class were told the incredible and sad true […]
October has come to be known as ‘Pink October’ and many Monegasque organisations, as well as the government, are supporting the cause. Roughly two million women were diagnosed with breast cancer last year worldwide and of those an estimated 627,000 will die from the disease. That comes out to 15% of all cancer deaths for […]
A joint meeting was held last week between the Monegasque Ambassador to the US and Honorary Consuls from nine major North American cities to discuss collaborative efforts for the next calendar year. Considered one of America’s greenest cities, Seattle was the setting for the confluence and attracted the Monaco representatives for its achievements regarding environmental […]
The Princess Grace Foundation-USA will be paying tribute to their namesake, Princess Grace of Monaco, during a special fundraising gala this November. The celebration will mark the 90th anniversary of the birth of the Hollywood icon and beloved Princess of Monaco. Known throughout the world as a humanitarian, philanthropist, and artist, Princess Grace was committed to […]
According to Monaco-Matin, Monaco bought the fort that sits at the very top of the Tête de Chien rock outcrop that overlooks the Principality with commanding views. The price tag was a reported €13 million and the seller was Orange.
The transaction took place on July 20 and was announced by Jean-Jacques Raffaele, mayor of neighbouring La Turbie. He added that the three-hectare site has been ceded to Monaco. Employees of Orange are still carrying out work at the fort. (Source: Monaco-Matin)