Weather
Monaco, MC
broken clouds
12.1 ° C
15 °
10 °
62%
9.3kmh
75%
Fri
12 °
Sat
13 °
Sun
12 °
Mon
11 °
Tue
13 °
Breaking News

Alain Ducasse’s restaurant Louis XV honoured for delivering the “perfect dining experience”

Monaco will not enter Eurovision Song Contest

Monaco will not enter Eurovision Song Contest

By Staff Writer - August 19, 2018

Monegasque broadcaster TMC has confirmed to esctoday.com that Monaco will not return to the Eurovision Song Contest in 2019 in Israel. This will be the principality’s thirteenth consecutive year of non-participation.

One key reason is possibly that the Monegasque broadcaster is no longer a public broadcaster. Indeed, whilst TMC remains a European Broadcasting Union member, the channel is part of the TF1 group. The TF1 group is the largest private French broadcaster and owns 80 percent of the channel, with the remaining 20 percent belonging to the Principality. Now, TMC focuses on broadcasting French programmes to the French public.

Eurovision Song Contest 2019

Monaco won the Eurovision Song Contest once, in 1971. Parisian-born singer Séverine represented the Principality with the song Un banc, un arbre, une rue. Scoring 128 points, Séverine took victory by 12 points ahead of second-placed Karina from Spain.

Monaco made its debut in the contest in 1959, finishing 11th and last. However, Monaco was largely successful at the contest, only placing outside the top ten on five occasions between 1959 and 1979. In 1980, TMC withdrew from the contest, not returning until 2004.

shares
SHARE
Previous articleFlags fly at half-mast in solidarity with Genoa
Next articleMonaco miss out on home win in first game

daily

November 11, 2019 | Business & Finance

Hiroshima survivor shares story with Monaco

Stephanie Horsman

A rare survivor of the nuclear blast that effectively ended World War II in the Pacific has spoken to a group of mesmerised students and staff members at Lycée Albert I. Organised by the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN), The high school’s history and geography class were told the incredible and sad true […]

0
October 23, 2019 | Business & Finance

October is breast cancer awareness month

Stephanie Horsman

October has come to be known as ‘Pink October’ and many Monegasque organisations, as well as the government, are supporting the cause. Roughly two million women were diagnosed with breast cancer last year worldwide and of those an estimated 627,000 will die from the disease. That comes out to 15% of all cancer deaths for […]

0
October 22, 2019 | Business & Finance

Monaco Embassies in USA and Canada meet in Seattle

Cassandra Tanti

A joint meeting was held last week between the Monegasque Ambassador to the US and Honorary Consuls from nine major North American cities to discuss collaborative efforts for the next calendar year. Considered one of America’s greenest cities, Seattle was the setting for the confluence and attracted the Monaco representatives for its achievements regarding environmental […]

0
October 22, 2019 | Business & Finance

Tribute to Princess Grace

Cassandra Tanti

The Princess Grace Foundation-USA will be paying tribute to their namesake, Princess Grace of Monaco, during a special fundraising gala this November. The celebration will mark the 90th anniversary of the birth of the Hollywood icon and beloved Princess of Monaco. Known throughout the world as a humanitarian, philanthropist, and artist, Princess Grace was committed to […]

0