Brought to you by: Monaco Life
Plastic toys in children’s menus will be banned under a new range of measures that Monaco is introducing to help hit the target of zero single-use plastics by the year 2030.
Under the leadership of Prince Albert, the Principality is aiming for the complete elimination of single-use plastic waste in Monaco within the decade.
In order to achieve this, a ban on single-use plastic bags was introduced in 2016, followed by the elimination of plastic straws and stirrers in 2019, and disposable plastic cups, cutlery and plates just one year later.
The release of balloons and lanterns was also banned in March 2020.
Now, the government is taking the plan further with bans that have been written into law effective 1st June, while other new measures are being phased in gradually.
This year, all plastic plates are banned including those with only a plastic coating, together with steak sticks, take-away styrofoam containers, and lids and closures for cups and ice cream cups.
Other plastic products like confetti, balloon rods and all products made from oxodegradable plastic are also banned.
Finally, restaurants are no longer able to offer free drinks in cans or plastic bottles as part of menus.
From 1st January 2022, restaurants will not be able to offer plastic toys in children’s menus.
Non-biodegradable plastic tea bags will be banned, together with the plastic packaging surrounding fresh fruits and vegetables, and all non-compostable plastic labels on fruits and vegetables.
Restaurants will have to offer reusable cutlery, and employers must make reusable dishes available at workplaces, and stop providing disposable crockery when meals are eaten on site.
Paper receipts will be provided only on demand.
Further measures are due to be introduced from 1st January 2024, with salad bowls, meal trays and sandwich bags all banned.
The aim is to reduce the amount of waste being produced in Monaco, a large portion of which ends up in the ocean, harming marine life and fauna.
“To achieve zero plastic waste in 2030, it is essential to count on everyone’s mobilisation and support an increasingly dense network of individuals but also of traders and restaurants, united under the same acronym of commitment,” said the government in a statement.
Despite a 46% drop in turnover for the 2020/21 financial year, SBM Monte-Carlo has revealed an exciting new expansion plan for the famed Café de Paris in the Casino Square.
Monaco overcame an early setback against the newly-promoted Clermont Foot to secure a fourth consecutive victory in all competitions.
The government says masks must still be worn outdoors, despite a significant drop in Covid-19 circulation and a request by the National Council to relax some of the stricter measures.
Glamour was back in full force Thursday at the Monte-Carlo Gala, as the Princely family welcomed VIPs to the Palace for the exclusive Prince Albert Foundation charity event.
Police from the Italian Riviera city of Bordighera have arrested a Maltese national on suspicion of having illegally detained and robbed an unidentified citizen of Monaco, the Independent of Malta reports.
Italian media said that a 29-year-old Maltese – identified only by his initials G.M. – had been arrested on Tuesday night by Italian police after a 30-year-old Monaco citizen ran out into the street and hailed a passing ambulance asking for help after having been robbed in a garage.
According to the alleged victim, at around 2 pm he had been invited by G.M., an acquaintance of his, to his home in Bordighera, apparently to show him a car he could possibly buy from him.
When the Monagasque entered the garage, instead of a car he found two other men who threatened him, beat him up by kicking and punching him, and took €900 from him saying it was money that the victim had taken from them.The victim, who denied having taken any money from the Maltese and his companions, was held in the garage for at least an hour at the mercy of his captors and was able to escape when they were momentarily distracted. He ran into the road and saw a passing ambulance that he flagged down for help. The victim will be in recovery for at least 10 days, having sustained a number of bruises to the face and chest. The Italian police apprehended the Maltese, but his accomplices are reportedly still being sought. He was arraigned and granted bail. Italian investigators are now examining the relationship between the victim and his assailants, as well as the motive behind the attack.