Weather
12 ° C
12°C
3°C
Sunny
Breaking News

98 Covid cases, 20 Jan, 40 hospitalised - 26 res, 4 in ICU - 1 res, 393 home monitored, 6,591 recoveries, 45 deaths, 1,953 incidence rate, 67.8% vaccinated

New evidence indicates there was no “conspiracy”

New evidence indicates there was no “conspiracy”

By Stephanie Horsman - October 28, 2021

In an explosive new development, letters presented in court on Wednesday indicate that Justice Minister Eric Dupond-Moretti did not betray Wojciech Janowski, accused of murdering Monegasque billionaire Hélène Pastor, when he pleaded guilty on his behalf in his first trial.

The appeal trial of the 2014 murders of Hélène Pastor and her driver Mohamed Darwich in the Bouches-du-Rhône, has taken on a whole new dimension.

Wojciech Janowski, former honorary consul of Poland in Monaco and partner of Sylvia Pastor, daughter of the slain billionaire heiress, has accused the court of a “conspiracy”, saying that his former lawyer Eric Dupond-Moretti had betrayed him by pleading guilty on his behalf, against his will, at the end of the first trial.

However, surprise testimony by a friend of the defendant on Tuesday revealed that he had 183 letters between himself and Janowski in his possession.

The court demanded to see the letters and by Tuesday evening, the gendarmes had procured them for the court.

In one of the most damning messages, Janowski said: “I am innocent. To avoid life imprisonment, my lawyers have decided to say that I am guilty, but only in part.” He then goes on to give details of the defence strategy before adding, “The lawyers informed me, and I agreed.”

This new evidence, in effect, vindicates Dupond-Moretti, who is now the French Justice Minister and who may otherwise have been asked to take the stand in this bizarre trial, something the President of Court, Patrick Ramaël, was uncomfortable enough about that he asked for advice from Prime Minister of France, Jean Castex.

“He’s a liar. We have to stop pretending to believe him,” Dominique Mattei, Sylvia Pastor’s lawyer, reportedly told the court. “We cannot, under the pretext of wanting to defend ourselves, say anything about the lawyers.”

According to reports, a usually combative Wojciech Janowski looked distraught as he sat in the dock on Wednesday. Earlier in the day, he had listened attentively to the three-hour testimony of his former companion, Sylvia Ratkowski-Pastor, with whom he has a daughter.

She spoke of the “tsunami” which has changed her life and that of her daughters, and recounted the brief meeting she had with her ex-boyfriend before he was indicted in June 2014: “I was exceedingly angry (…). He told me he was the one who commissioned it. I asked him ‘why?’. He said to me: ‘This is to save you’.”

The appeal trial, which is also retrying four other defendants, is set to go on until 19th November.

 

By Stephanie Horsman, Cassandra Tanti

 

SEE ALSO:

Hélène Pastor assassination: retrial begins

 

 

shares
SHARE
Sign up to our newsletter
Previous articleNew EU rules to strengthen banks’ resilience
Next articleFrancesco Grosoli: “We need to reverse the classic paradigm”

daily

January 22, 2022 | Local News

“We must be ambitious”

Luke Entwistle

Having secured his first victory as Monaco manager, Philippe Clement told Monaco Life that he expects a tough challenge on Sunday, especially given his side’s difficulties on the road this season.

0
Cassandra Tanti

Lieutenant-Colonel Gilles Convertini has officially handed over command of the Carabinieri Corps to Commander Martial Pied, marking the end of 38 years of service under two Princes of Monaco.

0
Stephanie Horsman

Monaco-based designer of cosmetic actives Exsymol has signed a partnership with OceanoScientific Expeditions, which will in part help protect organisms living in little explored coral reefs.

0
Stephanie Horsman

The position of Secretary General in the Prince’s government, left open by the retirement of Robert Colle, is being filled by the current Deputy Secretary General, Marc Vassallo.

0