Breaking News

6 new cases of Covid-19 on 24 Sept. in Monaco brings total to 205: 10 hospitalised - 6 residents, 23 home monitored, 166 healed, 1 resident death

Prince conveys condolences for Peres

Prince conveys condolences for Peres

By Staff Writer - September 28, 2016

Shemon Peres at the World Economic Forum on the Middle East 2009. Photo: World Economic Forum/Nader Daoud
Shemon Peres at the World Economic Forum on the Middle East 2009. Photo: World Economic Forum/Nader Daoud

His Serene Highness Prince Albert sent his condolences Wednesday to the President of Israel, Reuven Rivlin, following the death of 93-year-old Shimon Peres, a former prime minister, president, and winner of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Prince Albert said he had been profoundly saddened by the news of the passing of Mr Peres, a “statesman of eminent stature”.

The Sovereign said that Mr Peres had played a major part in the life of Israel over half a century and had worked hard for peace between the Israelis and Palestinians. “My family and the population of Monaco will not forget that he was a friend of the Principality,” Prince Albert said.

In April of this year, Mr Peres presented the Friends of Zion Award to Prince Albert, an award given by the Friends of Zion Heritage Centre as part of a global initiative to counter boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS) and anti-Semitism. “Nothing is greater than the cause of friendship among human beings,” the former president expressed at the ceremony.

“I speak for the Grimald house when I say here how proud and privileged I feel to accept this award as a symbol of the strong relations between Israel and Monaco,” Prince Albert commented.

shares
SHARE
Previous articleItalian sentenced to Monaco jail for stolen cards
Next articleBritish Blues singer plays free concert at Grimaldi Forum Thursday

daily

September 25, 2020 | Lifestyle & Wellbeing

Covid-positive woman dies of other causes in Monaco

Cassandra Tanti

An elderly woman suffering from comorbidities including Covid-19 has died in hospital in Monaco.

0
September 25, 2020 | Lifestyle & Wellbeing

Tourism in Monaco “less gloomy” than predicted

Cassandra Tanti

The summer tourist season was better than expected thanks to the loyalty of French, Swiss and Italian visitors, according to the latest figures by the Tourism and Congress Department.  

0
September 25, 2020 | Lifestyle & Wellbeing

Inside Monaco’s major development sites

Cassandra Tanti

Minister of State Pierre Dartout has toured the main construction sites of the Principality, taking stock of the major developments that are currently under way.

0
September 24, 2020 | Lifestyle & Wellbeing

Nice and Marseille hit with new restrictions

Stephanie Horsman

French Health Minister Olivier Véran has announced plans to step up the fight against a second wave of Covid, placing new temporary restrictions on Nice and Marseille.

0