Weather
Monte-Carlo, FR
scattered clouds
5 ° C
8 °
-2.2 °
68%
4.6kmh
39%
Mon
11 °
Tue
14 °
Wed
13 °
Thu
14 °
Fri
13 °
Breaking News

Rolling strike action in France continues to disrupt train services to and from Monaco

Prince hints at change of Grand Prix course

Prince hints at change of Grand Prix course

By Staff Writer - April 6, 2018

2013 Monaco Grand Prix . Photo: United Autosports
2013 Monaco Grand Prix . Photo: United Autosports

Monaco’s €2 billion offshore expansion project, which is currently underway at Portier Cove, could lead to a change of layout of its Formula 1 track, according to reports on F1i.com and in Forbes magazine, both citing comments by Prince Albert.

Located just before the circuit’s tunnel, the urban expansion over the Mediterranean is set to take approximately 15 acres of land from the sea. Once completed in 2025, the new district will include residential properties – among the most expensive in the world – public spaces, a landscaped park and a small marina.

Prince Albert has hinted that the extra parcel could eventually also serve the purpose of changing the layout of the Monaco Grand Prix track.

“We look, every once in a while, at different possibilities of extending the track, and certainly something to think about is that we are building the new land extension,” Prince Albert said in an interview with Forbes.

“There are no plans or anything yet, it is just in the back of all of our minds – people in the Automobile Club but also in the Government – that there could be.

“I am not saying that it will happen necessarily, but at some point we are going to put our minds together and say, how can we not only improve this, but how can we make it a little more exciting by maybe changing the course slightly?

“We haven’t gone beyond this simple statement of an idea,” he said. Referring to the Monaco Grand Prix’s iconic status, he added: “It is such a part of the history of the sport that I can’t envisage an F1 season without the Monaco Grand Prix.

“When you talk to all the partners of F1 and they tell you this is one of the venues where we don’t hesitate to bring our customers, that has got to mean something. It is unique for most people.”


READ ALSO

Sustainable Stories of Monaco Life: Dario Calzavara, Founder Terra Modena

shares
SHARE
Previous articleAdoreum Club breakfast welcomes biotech entrepreneur Sir Christopher Evans
Next articlePrincess Stephanie Youth Centre offers summer camps

daily

January 16, 2020 | Local News

There’s a new bailiff in town

Stephanie Horsman

Monaco has a new bailiff, or huissier as known locally, who was sworn in earlier this week.

0
January 14, 2020 | Local News

Monaco crime rates continue to fall

Stephanie Horsman

General crime rates in the Principality dropped by a significant 16% between the years 2016 and 2019, and street crime by an impressive 52%.

0
Stephanie Horsman

As part of the newly approved Palais Honoria housing project, a gantry will be installed above Boulevard de Belgique, creating temporary traffic impediments in the area.

0
Cassandra Tanti

Thomas Fouilleron, Director of Archives and Prince's Palace Library, and Colonel Tony Varo, Superior Commander of the Public Force, have been distinguished by the French High Authorities.

0