Brought to you by: Monaco Life
Princess Charlene travelled to the tiny mountain village of Isola del Gran Sasso in the province of Teramo in southern Italy to inaugurate the Parrozzani Primary School, which had been destroyed in November 2016 by an earthquake.
The new 1,000m2 school will be host to 200 students and its construction was a joint effort by the Monaco Red Cross, Italian Red Cross and several private partners and citizens.
Princess Charlene, who since 2014 is a recipient of the Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Star of Italy, the highest honorific distinction given by the Italians, was awarded a gold medal by Italian Red Cross’s Vice President Rosario Maria Gianluca Valestro for her commitment and actions to the organisation and her continued humanitarian efforts.
She was accompanied to the opening by a group of children from the village, as well as by local dignitaries.
The former school, destroyed by a magnitude 5.4 earthquake quickly followed by two tremors measuring 5.7 and 5.3 respectively, is located in the Apennine Mountains in the Gran Sasso e Monti della Laga National Park, one of Europe’s most biologically diverse areas boasting more than two thousand plant species, some unique to the region, as well as several rare animal species.
Photos : Eric Mathon / Palais Princier
Easyjet has announced plans to open a new route from Nice to Manorca, which will be available from the summer of 2020.
A new photo book paying tribute to the 126 people who work behind the scenes at the Prince’s Palace and his private home, Roc Agel, has been released.
Monaco-based Panthera Solutions has been named ‘Best Financial Service Provider Europe’, excluding banks, by the international magazine The European.
Monegasque children’s charity Les Enfants de Frankie will be hosting its annual Kid’s Nite Charity Gala this Friday at Le Sporting Monte-Carlo’s Salle des Etoile.
Two Italian gamblers who have been banned from visiting casinos in their native country ran out of luck in Monaco when they tried to cheat at the English roulette tables last weekend.
Diego and Rocco were found to be cheating, thanks to cameras and inspectors at the Casino of Monte-Carlo, Monaco’s Criminal Court was told on Tuesday. A sleight of hand, a slight flick of the fingers, moving chips from a clear position on the cloth to straddle the number given by the ball, failed to work for the pair, both in their sixties.
Attorney General Jacque Doremieux said that the defendants, “who are no longer young and banned from casinos, have already been convicted of gambling offences in Italy. Even if they have no criminal record in France and Monaco, a sentence of fifteen days imprisonment is called for.”
For the defence, Maitre Arnaud Cheynut believes said that the offence was not sufficiently grave for a custodial sentence, and for the two men “the game is a way to escape a dull life”. He added that they had been willing to repay any loss to the Casino. He said that one of the men was a businessman “who did not need to win at the casino for a living. It’s an addiction.”
The court took a tougher line and doubled the penalty sought by the prosecution.