Breaking News

6 Covid cases 17 June, 3 hospitalised, 1 in ICU, 35 home monitored, 2,473 recoveries, 33 deaths, 44 incidence rate, 54% eligible population vaccinated

Prosecutor shocked at release of arms cache suspect

Prosecutor shocked at release of arms cache suspect

By Staff Writer - April 3, 2017

The French prosecutor handling the case involving a cache of weapons found in an apartment in Cap d’Ail last week has expressed dismay at the release of the main suspect on bail, despite the fact that the investigating judge had indicted him.

The individual, 29, who possessed a military arsenal in an apartment close to Monaco, having been indicted by an investigating judge, was released under judicial supervision after being held for 96 hours.

The prosecutor announced on Monday morning that he would appeal the decision. “In view of the ongoing investigations, we hope that this man will be held in pre-trial detention,” said Jean-Michel Prêtre.

“Intelligence suggests that he is in the survivalist movement and is preparing for a third World War by procuring military equipment.” The weapons trade can not be ruled out, he added. The suspect, originally from the Calais area, is a convert to Islam, according to reports.

The man’s father was also taken into custody on March 30 after police raided the flat at 6 am. According to police sources in Menton, the family had recently moved to the Riviera. Three Kalashnikov rifles were among the weapons seized, together with a large amount of
ammunition. The 29-year-old is well known to the police for acts of violence, drug use and theft.

READ MORE

Teen linked to terrorism arrested near Paris

READ MORE

French fear new terror attacks as more arrests are made

shares
SHARE
Previous articleMonaco HQ for Pelagos Sanctuary
Next articlePrince launches Explorations of Monaco

daily

June 18, 2021 | Business & Finance

July reopening of nightclubs in France

Stephanie Horsman

France has said that night clubs will be able to reopen in July, leaving club owners delighted but also concerned about what kind of rules will need to be implemented.

0
June 18, 2021 | Business & Finance

How to celebrate this year’s Festival of the Sea

Stephanie Horsman

The YCM will host June's Festival of the Sea in honour of the patron saint of fishermen, Saint Peter, however the event will be scaled back this year due to health restrictions.  

0
Stephanie Horsman

A new public use facility called A Fabrica has been inaugurated in the heart of Princess Antoinette Park, a space made possible by the generosity of two local donors.

0
June 17, 2021 | Business & Finance

Free from masks, outdoors, from Saturday

Cassandra Tanti

Masks will no longer be mandatory in Monaco from Saturday, with the exception of a few tourist hotspots like Casino Square.

0