Brought to you by: Monaco Life
The “highlight of summer” was how HSH Prince Albert described the Monaco Red Cross Ball on Friday, July 28. The event also celebrated its 70th anniversary.
The Sovereign Prince and Princess Charlene, together with their fellow guests, enjoyed a performance by Seal at the annual charity event.
Prince Rainier III presided at the first gala, held by the newly founded Monaco Red Cross, in 1948. Ten years later Princess Grace of Monaco became chairwoman of the event. Prince Albert told People magazine: “Pretty soon after their wedding, in ’58, Mom took it on and then it became something else.”
The Princess used her strong connections with major stars such as Sammy Davis Jr., Shirley Bassey and Ella Fitzgerald headlining the Gala, which is the charity’s main source of income.
“It is special. The Red Cross Gala is unique. There’s great history there. It’s the highlight of the summer in terms of social and charity events,” Prince Albert told the magazine.
“I remember we would see Mom and Dad get ready for it when we were kids,” the Prince recalls. “It was always something to see. I didn’t attend it until I was 16. But I haven’t missed too many years since then.”
“Mom remained president until her passing [in 1982], and I’ve been privileged to head the Monaco Red Cross since then,” he said.
IMSEE’s report on the business climate of Monaco in June shows a certain stabilisation despite overall low levels of trade.
The International Contemporary Art Fair coming up in late August will be the first major cultural event to be held since the beginning of the health crisis.
Barclays has appointed Jean-Christophe Gerard as CEO, Barclays Private Bank with immediate effect, subject to regulatory approval.
Since 20th July, the Department of Urban Amenities has been offering a free shuttle service for residents living around the Grand Ida construction site.
A cybersecurity conference in Monaco has heard that hackers who succeeded in taking down a major French television station last year are still making efforts to break into French government computers, a senior cybersecurity official said Wednesday.Guillaume Poupard, who heads the National Agency of Security and Information Systems (ANSSI), told the Associated Press that sensors deployed at French government ministries routinely pick up the electronic signatures associated with the group. “The group behind it – and I don't know who it is, that's not my role – is proving very active,” he said. “We see them. And we stop them.” The April 8, 2015, attack interrupted nearly a dozen channels belonging to TV5 and packed its social media sites with propaganda for the Islamic State group. The cyber attack just months after the Charlie Hebdo atrocity caused considerable consternation among French leaders and journalists. French Prime Minister Manuel Valls at the time condemned what he called an “unacceptable attack on freedom of expression”. Some journalists described the hack as an “unprecedented act of cyberterrorism”. But two months later, L'Express magazine reported that French investigators believed a Russian group masquerading as Islamic State loyalists had carried out the hack. Mr Poupard would not be drawn on the thesis that Moscow is behind these sophisticated attacks, but added that the attack on TV5 “looked a lot like” the cyber-espionage operation launched in May 2015 against Germany's parliament. Germany's domestic intelligence agency blamed that hack squarely on Moscow. Monaco has recently announced that its own cyber security agency has started work to help protect the Principality against security breaches.