Ronaldinho to headline Racing Stars Football Cup ahead of Monaco Grand Prix

The Racing Stars Football Cup will return to Stade Louis-II on Wednesday 3rd June at 3:30pm to kick off Monaco Grand Prix week, bringing together Formula 1 drivers, football legends, and international celebrities for a charity gala match led by the Barbagiuans Monaco.

Organised by the Barbagiuans Monaco, under the leadership of President Louis Ducruet, the event will see the Barbagiuans Monaco facing off against the Nazionale Piloti, a team of determined drivers looking for a comeback after last year’s defeat.  “Once again this year, we are going to experience a great moment of sport, sharing and emotion, all in support of causes that are especially close to our hearts,” said President Louis Ducruet.

With an ambitious programme following a successful 2025 revival, the match is expected to be a festive curtain-raiser to open one of the Principality’s most anticipated sporting weeks.

Among the headline names confirmed for this edition is Brazilian football legend Ronaldinho, who will represent the Barbagiuans Monaco for the first time. With a decorated history, Ronaldinho won the 2005 Ballon d’Or, became a world champion with Brazil in 2002, was a two-time FIFA World Player of the Year, and won the UEFA Champions League with FC Barcelona, making him one of the event’s biggest attractions. “I didn’t hesitate for a second. Receiving this invitation was an immense joy, and it will be an even greater joy to play and make my contribution,” Ronaldinho shared when discussing his participation. He further added that Monaco’s connection to motorsport made this occasion especially meaningful, noting his longtime passion for Formula 1.

Along with Ronaldinho, several other names are expected to take part in this event. Drivers including Carlos Sainz Jr. and Pierre Gasly are set to participate, while Formula 2 drivers Luke Browning and Oliver Goethe are also expected. French comedian Paul Mirabel, presenter Nikos Aliagas, and Tibo InShape are also expected to attend. Former footballers Ludovic Giuly, Flavio Roma, and Leonardo Bonucci have been confirmed for the event.

Following Mika Häkkinen serving as the event’s official ambassador in 2025, 2026 will feature motorsport icon Jacky Ickx filling the role. “What is beautiful is using energy, talent, and passion in support of positive causes. This event embodies exactly that: beautiful football, people united by enjoyment, sharing, and solidarity,” Ickx said.

Beyond the field, the event focuses on solidarity and commitment as it supports two major charities. Mercy Ships is an organization that provides free surgical care to those in need around the world, particularly in Africa. For over 45 years, Mercy Ships has sailed across the world, bringing hope and healing to those who need it most. Additionally, Les Soins de l’Espoir focuses on disadvantaged communities in Southeast Asia in the medical and paramedical fields. This organisation helps fund surgeries and develop healthcare structures.

As the event draws closer, more surprises and participants are expected to be announced. Tickets for the Racing Stars Football Cup can be purchased here.

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcasts on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Photo provided