Weather
7 ° C
7°C
Northerly°C
Clear Sky
Breaking News

9 new cases of Covid-19 were confirmed in Monaco on Friday, bringing the total to 42, including 1 who is now cured

Rybolovlev appears to win latest round in art case

Rybolovlev appears to win latest round in art case

By Staff Writer - August 30, 2017

Dmitry Rybolovlev Photo: Francknataf
Dmitry Rybolovlev Photo: Francknataf

A US Court of Appeals judge has affirmed an earlier ruling ordering that documents related to Dmitry Rybolovlev’s art purchases in the US be released in order to be used in the case pending in Monaco, a move that can be seen as encouraging for the Russian billionaire in his long-running legal tussle with art dealer Yves Bouvier.

Mr Rybolovlev’s lawyers are said to believe that the documents will reveal details of sales brokered by Mr Bouvier that they claim were subject to considerable mark-ups that their client was not aware of.

The feud between Mr Rybolovlev, the majority owner of Monaco’s soccer team, and the so-called “freeport king” can be tracked back to one high-profile purchase out of many: that of Leonardo da Vinci’s Christ as Salvator Mundi.

Mr Rybolovlev bought the work for $127.5 million in 2014, but soon afterwards learned that the picture had sold for considerably less, between $75 million and $80 million, according to a report in the New York Times He was also surprised to learn that Sotheby’s was an additional intermediary involved in the transaction.

In the original suit filed last year, Mr Rybolovlev alleges through his companies Accent Delight and Xitrans Finance “that Bouvier’s account of the sale was entirely false, that he failed to disclose Sotheby’s role, and that he inflated the purchase price in order to pocket the $52 million difference.”

The suit also claims that Mr Bouvier lied about prices for 37 other artworks and defrauded Mr Rybolovlev to the tune of $1 billion over the course of their 11-year relationship.

Bouvier was arrested in Monaco on his way to see the billionaire more than two years ago and was kept in custody for several days. Meanwhile, his Paris-based lawyer, Ron Soffer has claimed that the latest court ruling is nothing new. “The Rybolovlev camp has had these documents for months and gave them to the Monaco judge months ago,” he told artnews.


READ ALSO

Marta in Monaco a starter in TF1 prime-time adventure

Street art meets Monaco … and the Prince

 

shares
SHARE
Previous articleFrance announces tax cut timetable
Next articlePlayers ‘stolen’ from us, says Jardim

daily

March 27, 2020 | Lifestyle & Wellbeing

Video sermons in English

Cassandra Tanti

St. Paul’s Anglican Church has started making online videos of their weekly sermons in English, so parishioners don’t have to miss out during the lockdown.

0
March 26, 2020 | Lifestyle & Wellbeing

Council asks for markets to remain open

Cassandra Tanti

The National Council says it wants to keep the Condamine and Monte-Carlo markets open, despite the closure of all food markets this week across France.

0
March 26, 2020 | Lifestyle & Wellbeing

Psychologists to join call centre

Stephanie Horsman

The government has added psychologists to the team at Monaco’s Covid-19 call centre as a growing number of people seek advice on how to cope with isolation and fear.  

0
March 25, 2020 | Lifestyle & Wellbeing

Extra coronavirus hospital needed now, says council

Cassandra Tanti

The National Council is calling on the Prince’s government to create a makeshift hospital in preparation for a surge in coronavirus cases in the Principality.

0