Breaking News

6 new cases of Covid-19 on 24 Sept. in Monaco brings total to 205: 10 hospitalised - 6 residents, 23 home monitored, 166 healed, 1 resident death

SBM to open in Macau

SBM to open in Macau

By Staff Writer - September 27, 2016

SBM's Jean-Luc Biamonti
SBM’s Jean-Luc Biamonti

Monaco’s Société des Bains de Mer has announced that it will next year open a brasserie in Macau, according to Le Figaro. The brasserie will be the second branch of Monaco’s famous Café de Paris and is expected to open sometime in the middle of 2017 at the Galaxy resort.

Jean-Luc Biamonti, president of SBM, said that the opening in China is more a question of image, “and to have a foot there, rather than for money”.

The company said that it was also hopeful that the publicity might attract some Chinese gamblers to Monaco. Last year, Galaxy Entertainment Group bought a five percent stake in SBM, which GEG vice chairman Francis Liu described as a “strategic investment” that might result in international collaboration in the near future.

The prestigious French daily said that “the chronically indebted” SBM is expected to announce another loss-making year for 2016/2017 after an operating loss of €31.5 million for the last year.

The former Portuguese colony of Macau passed Las Vegas as the world’s number-one gambling spot in 2002.

shares
SHARE
Previous articleTourism looks towards India
Next articleMonaco Embassy marks 10 years

daily

September 25, 2020 | Lifestyle & Wellbeing

Covid-positive woman dies of other causes in Monaco

Cassandra Tanti

An elderly woman suffering from comorbidities including Covid-19 has died in hospital in Monaco.

0
September 25, 2020 | Lifestyle & Wellbeing

Tourism in Monaco “less gloomy” than predicted

Cassandra Tanti

The summer tourist season was better than expected thanks to the loyalty of French, Swiss and Italian visitors, according to the latest figures by the Tourism and Congress Department.  

0
September 25, 2020 | Lifestyle & Wellbeing

Inside Monaco’s major development sites

Cassandra Tanti

Minister of State Pierre Dartout has toured the main construction sites of the Principality, taking stock of the major developments that are currently under way.

0
September 24, 2020 | Lifestyle & Wellbeing

Nice and Marseille hit with new restrictions

Stephanie Horsman

French Health Minister Olivier Véran has announced plans to step up the fight against a second wave of Covid, placing new temporary restrictions on Nice and Marseille.

0