Brought to you by: Monaco Life
The Solar & Energy Boat Challenge dedicated to the latest innovations in propulsion has taken to the water again. Since its launch in 2014 by the Monaco Yacht Club, the solar-powered event continues to develop and this year for the first time is open to all clean energy sources, according to powerboat-world.com.
Supported by the Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation, Hydros Foundation and the Monaco-based International Powerboating Federation (UIM), this competition is unique in the world, giving young engineers an opportunity to reinvent boating to meet future energy and environmental standards. Thirty teams are taking part, an increase of 25 percent over last year.
“It is part of the Principality’s commitment to the environment led by our President HSH Prince Albert II. If we want to position Monaco as Capital of Yachting, we need to play a part in these technologies,” MYC General Secretary Bernard d’Alessandri told powerboat-world.com.
Bertrand Piccard, the man behind Solar Impulse, the first fuel-less zero-emissions plane with limitless autonomy in which he flew round the world, is sponsoring this fifth edition: “‘Im delighted to see what can be achieved with clean energy sources. These boats can compete in races full of suspense and all without any noise or pollution. It really is something that needs to be encouraged,” he said.
The fifth Solar & Energy Boat Challenge takes place from July 12 to 14, centred on Monaco Yacht Club and Port Hercule.
A second person has died from Covid-19 in Monaco. Meanwhile, the Principality’s Minister of State has fully recovered from the virus.
Now more than ever, health is at the forefront of everyone’s minds. On 7th April, we have an opportunity to thank the nurses and midwives of the Principality during World Health Day 2020.
Monaco’s support workers caring for the most vulnerable in the community are making heroic efforts to maintain vital ties to the elderly and disabled, whilst trying to remain safe themselves during the crisis.
Since confinement began on 18th March, the Monaco police force has made 11,000 traffic checks on drivers entering the Principality.