Ronaldinho to headline Racing Stars Football Cup ahead of Monaco Grand Prix

The Racing Stars Football Cup will return to Stade Louis-II on Wednesday 3rd June at 3:30pm to kick off Monaco Grand Prix week, bringing together Formula 1 drivers, football legends, and international celebrities for a charity gala match led by the Barbagiuans Monaco.

Organised by the Barbagiuans Monaco, under the leadership of President Louis Ducruet, the event will see the Barbagiuans Monaco facing off against the Nazionale Piloti, a team of determined drivers looking for a comeback after last year’s defeat.  “Once again this year, we are going to experience a great moment of sport, sharing and emotion, all in support of causes that are especially close to our hearts,” said President Louis Ducruet.

With an ambitious programme following a successful 2025 revival, the match is expected to be a festive curtain-raiser to open one of the Principality’s most anticipated sporting weeks.

Among the headline names confirmed for this edition is Brazilian football legend Ronaldinho, who will represent the Barbagiuans Monaco for the first time. With a decorated history, Ronaldinho won the 2005 Ballon d’Or, became a world champion with Brazil in 2002, was a two-time FIFA World Player of the Year, and won the UEFA Champions League with FC Barcelona, making him one of the event’s biggest attractions. “I didn’t hesitate for a second. Receiving this invitation was an immense joy, and it will be an even greater joy to play and make my contribution,” Ronaldinho shared when discussing his participation. He further added that Monaco’s connection to motorsport made this occasion especially meaningful, noting his longtime passion for Formula 1.

Along with Ronaldinho, several other names are expected to take part in this event. Drivers including Carlos Sainz Jr. and Pierre Gasly are set to participate, while Formula 2 drivers Luke Browning and Oliver Goethe are also expected. French comedian Paul Mirabel, presenter Nikos Aliagas, and Tibo InShape are also expected to attend. Former footballers Ludovic Giuly, Flavio Roma, and Leonardo Bonucci have been confirmed for the event.

Following Mika Häkkinen serving as the event’s official ambassador in 2025, 2026 will feature motorsport icon Jacky Ickx filling the role. “What is beautiful is using energy, talent, and passion in support of positive causes. This event embodies exactly that: beautiful football, people united by enjoyment, sharing, and solidarity,” Ickx said.

Beyond the field, the event focuses on solidarity and commitment as it supports two major charities. Mercy Ships is an organization that provides free surgical care to those in need around the world, particularly in Africa. For over 45 years, Mercy Ships has sailed across the world, bringing hope and healing to those who need it most. Additionally, Les Soins de l’Espoir focuses on disadvantaged communities in Southeast Asia in the medical and paramedical fields. This organisation helps fund surgeries and develop healthcare structures.

As the event draws closer, more surprises and participants are expected to be announced. Tickets for the Racing Stars Football Cup can be purchased here.

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcasts on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Photo provided

Oliver Rowland charges from P8 to victory in Monaco Formula E Race 2

In the second race of the weekend, Formula E took to the streets of Monaco to compete in another highly competitive battle. Reigning champion Oliver Rowland of Nissan claimed victory ahead of Felipe Drugovich, with Antonio Felix da Costa finishing out the podium.

The race began with Dan Ticktum and Antonio Felix da Costa on the front row, while Rowland started from eighth position and Drugovich from fifth. However, an eventful race quickly created opportunities for overtaking and dramatic position changes.

Unlike Saturday’s race, this one began with drama from the jump as Ticktum, the polesitter, lost his position and Edoardo Mortara took the lead, while da Costa similarly fell down the order quickly. Another difference in this race was that there was no Pit Boost stop for extra power, meaning strategy came primarily from the efficient use of Attack Mode opportunities.

Photo: Kayla Sauceda / Monaco Life

By Lap 4 of 28, penalties had already begun to be handed out, including one to Mortara for causing a collision, while Attack Mode had been initiated early by Nico Müller, allowing him to claim the lead only a couple of laps later and build an advantage of over two seconds.

The race was nothing short of drama, as further penalties, collisions, yellow flags, and even a DNF for Norman Nato ensued before even reaching Lap 10. After activating his Attack Mode, current championship leader Mitch Evans took the lead on Lap 11.

Laps 16 and 17 saw a strong push from Mortara of Mahindra Racing as he moved past Drugovich for second before overtaking Evans to reclaim the lead. A Full Course Yellow was then triggered following a collision at Turn 18 between Nick Cassidy and Josep Maria Martí.

After briefly losing the lead to da Costa, Mortara found himself back in front by Lap 23, with his Attack Mode activated. Rowland, however, followed in third with 30 seconds more Attack Mode time remaining than Mortara. That same lap saw Rowland take the lead over Mortara, even before Mortara’s Attack Mode expired.

By the final lap, Rowland, Mortara, and Drugovich held the podium positions. However, Mortara’s time penalty, given earlier in the race, pushed him down to a fifth place finish.

Rowland remained relatively quiet for much of the race, fighting well without drawing too much attention to himself. Yet, impressive strategy and efficiency allowed the Nissan driver to come out on top in the end. Charging from P8 to victory, Rowland proved that sometimes playing the long game can be the most effective strategy.

Monaco now gears up for another major motorsport weekend in the Principality as the Formula 1 Louis Vuitton Grand Prix de Monaco returns in just a couple of weeks.

See also:

Nyck de Vries claims Monaco Formula E victory in opening race

 

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcasts on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Main photo credit: Michaël Alesi / Fréderic Nebinger / Palais Princier

Monaco celebrates 100-day countdown to La Vuelta

To celebrate 100 days until the start of La Vuelta, which will begin in Monaco on 22nd August, Amazónico Monte-Carlo hosted a cocktail evening on Thursday to mark the occasion. As one of cycling’s most iconic races, La Vuelta is set to bring added excitement to the Principality this summer.

The evening welcomed Prince Albert II, Javier Guillén, Director of La Vuelta, and guests from Monaco and the world of cycling. Nearby, overlooking Place du Casino, residents and visitors can find a countdown clock building anticipation ahead of the race.

While the race does not officially begin until Saturday 22nd August, Thursday 20 August will kick off the festivities with team introductions. The opening day of competition on 22 August will feature a 9.6-kilometre individual time trial through the streets of Monaco. Following this, the second stage will begin the next day as riders depart Monaco and continue into France.

To mark the milestone, the Palais Princier was illuminated in red, symbolising the famous Spanish race. While the event will attract international attention, it also offers Monaco an opportunity to further strengthen its relationship with international cycling.

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Photo credits: Frédéric Nebinger / Palais Princier / Stéphane Danna

Monaco expands diplomatic reach with first Ambassador to Sweden

Stéphanie Vikström formally presented her credentials to His Majesty King Carl XVI Gustaf during a ceremony held at the Royal Palace Stockholm on Wednesday 16th April.

The moment marks a significant step for the Principality, as Vikström becomes the first Ambassador appointed by the Prince to the Kingdom of Sweden. This milestone reflects Monaco’s ongoing efforts to broaden its diplomatic footprint and deepen its engagement across Northern Europe.

While Monaco and Sweden may differ in size and geography, the two countries share key international priorities. Their shared commitment to ocean preservation, marine research, and environmental sustainability continues to shape their presence within global initiatives.

The meeting between Stéphanie Vikström and the King also provided an opportunity to explore avenues for future cooperation, particularly in areas where both nations have demonstrated leadership on environmental and global policy issues.

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Photo credit: Palais Princier

Football: Monaco salvage draw but pass up golden chance in Champions League race

Simon Adingra cuts back under the sun at the Stade Louis II as Monaco are held by Auxerre

AS Monaco came from two goals down to secure a 2-2 draw against Auxerre, but after their competitors for Champions League football slipped up, Sébastien Pocognoli’s side missed a golden opportunity.

The worst was avoided, but Monaco left the Stade Louis II with regrets on Sunday afternoon. “Is the glass half empty or half full? We’ll judge at the end of the season. But it is a match that mirrors our season more globally: we’re reacting,” reacted Sébastien Pocognoli. You also wonder how Claude Puel views the result. The former Monaco manager was in attendance as the club celebrated 50 years of their renowned academy. Now manager of fierce rivals OGC Nice, who took a point off Lille on Saturday, his side are being chased by Auxerre, who themselves are hot on their heels in the fight to remain in Ligue 1.

Like Pocognoli, he wouldn’t have enjoyed the first half. Monaco started with intent but came up against a solid and compact block. Chances were always likely to be limited for Auxerre. But when they came, they were taken. Kévin Danois finished spectacularly, tracking a looping ball onto his right foot and volleying brilliantly from the outside of the box. The response from Monaco was not marked, and the task was made more difficult on the half-hour mark when Lassine Sinayoko, after a game of pinball on the edge of Les Monégasques’ box, finished first-time on the volley.

Monaco emerge for second half with “more pronounced mindset”

Monaco were down but not out, and it wouldn’t prove to be the knockout blow for a side that were looking to bounce back from last weekend’s 4-1 humbling at the hands of Paris FC. The reaction, however, was not immediate and the boos that accompanied the Monaco player’s trundle back to the dressing room were no surprise. Pocongoli has previously said that he only shouts when he feels it absolutely necessary. “It is the first time that, at half-time, I was very disappointed,” said Pocognoli. “He said what needed to be said,” added Wout Faes. Whatever was said or whatever the tone, it had an effect.

Granted, the introduction of Simon Adingra at the break, at the expense of Aladji Bamba, had its own effect, but for Pocognoli, it didn’t “explain the turnaround.” The Monaco manager added, “I think there was a more ‘pronounced’ [positive] mindset [in the second-half]. I wanted a reaction and it was a very good second half.”

Adingra provided the width on the left that gave Jordan Teze the space to curl a shot on target and truly test Donovan Léon for the first time. He couldn’t do anything about Ansu Fati’s right-footed effort minutes later. The deficit halved, something of a frenzy ensued. Three minutes later and Monaco were level thanks to Folarin Balogun, who, having been downed by Léon in the box, got up and blasted his penalty down the middle. The USMNT forward then thought he had given the home side the lead, only for the offside flag to cut short the celebrations, and all the while, Auxerre continued to look dangerous on the break.

Monaco – not exactly a flat-track bully

Bar his spectacular goal, Sinayoko was wasteful, and Monaco will be thankful for that. Found unmarked inside the box, he had time and space to restore Auxerre’s lead, but could only put a tepid effort right at Hradecky. Some intelligent game management allowed the storm to pass and Monaco could not build up a head of steam as they searched for the late winner.

After Lille and Marseille both dropped points on Saturday, Monaco saw a golden opportunity to cut the gap pass them by. “It is a shame because we had the chance to be the beneficiaries of those results. If we want to challenge them, we have to take our chances. That will be decisive. Everything will have to align for us to have a finish to the season in line with our ambitions,” said Pocognoli.

Monaco will now hit the road, with games away to Toulouse and Metz, matches certainly winnable on paper… but so was this match against Auxerre and the one last weekend against Paris FC. Ultimately, however, the Principality club took just one point from these matches, compared to the six that they took against Marseille and Lyon in the two previous gameweeks. ASM conclude the season against two European challengers in the form of Lille and Strasbourg. It is not just by beating those around them that they will secure Champions League qualification for next season.

 

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Photo source: AS Monaco

Monte-Carlo Fashion Week: Seven brands featured at two-day fashion hub in Monaco

A two-day fashion hub at Marius Monaco is bringing together international designers against the backdrop of Port Hercule this week.

Thursday 16th April marked day one of a two-day fashion hub hosted at Marius Monaco overlooking Port Hercule in Monaco. Taking place as part of Monte-Carlo Fashion Week, the event features seven international fashion brands, each bringing something unique to the showcase.

Baíah, a contemporary swimwear brand defined by sculpted silhouettes with an emphasis on sustainability; Crida Milano, a refined Italian ready-to-wear brand offering timeless femininity; Daphne Milano, offering elevated springtime dresses for every occasion; Di Iorio Monaco, a Monaco-based designer offering expertly crafted heels; Presente Ancestral, culturally inspired pieces blending heritage with modern design; Sorellina Bijoux, delicate, elegant jewelry designed for everyday wear; and Yasmina Al Jaramani, refined artistic fashion defined by a detail-driven approach.

The hosted brands offer a full spectrum of fashion, from ready-to-wear luxury designs to swimwear, shoes, and jewellery. The kickoff event at 1pm welcomed a crowd of enthusiastic guests eager to discover the brands present. Guests had the opportunity to enjoy a welcome drink and hors d’oeuvres while shopping and exploring the collections.

The setting proved to be a natural complement to Monaco’s landscape, with a stunning view of yachts set behind the collections. The fashion hub will continue into Friday, offering guests a final opportunity to discover the collections in an intimate, waterfront setting.

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Photo credit: Kayla Sauceda, Monaco Life