Monaco Government responds to Fontvieille Shopping Centre strike

The Monaco Government has promised to continue talks with traders following Monday’s strike at the Fontvieille Shopping Centre, where approximately 80% of shops closed their doors in protest. 

The demonstration saw dozens of employees and business owners gather at the site to voice their concerns over the planned redevelopment project, which is scheduled to begin in 2028 after more than 18 years of delays.

Traders distributed leaflets to shoppers and people passing by with messages that included, in French, “We are closing today so we don’t close permanently tomorrow”, and “Deaf government, absent National Council, exhausted traders.”

The strike followed a July 2025 meeting where Finance Minister Pierre-André Chiappori announced that current traders would receive compensation settlements but would not automatically be relocated to the new shopping centre. Instead, they would need to participate in an open application process alongside external candidates.

Philippe Clerissi, president of the Fontvieille Shopping Centre’s Economic Interest Group, said this contradicted earlier government communications which had suggested continuity of commercial activity, according to Monaco Matin. He estimates around 200 employees could face unemployment as a result of the plans.

Compensation concerns

Traders have also criticised the compensation package with Clerissi describing the proposals, many of which arrived between Christmas and New Year, as “inadequate and even inhumane”. He claimed some businesses were being offered just one-fifth of what they originally paid when talking over their premises.

The social support measures for employees have also drawn criticism, amid claims the government has calculated solely on shop floor space rather than staff numbers or length of service, at a rate of €10,000 per 25 square metres.

The government said in it’s statement released Monday evening that it remains particularly attentive to the trader’s concerns. The Minister of State proposed organising a meeting with the shopkeepers as soon as he learned of the planned demonstration.

Additionally, the government stated that an individual support package has been presented to traders, both those who have ceased trading and those wishing to continue until construction begins. It also said it intends to maintain its dialogue with the Economic Interest Group and all affected businesses.

The Fontvieille Shopping Centre, which opened in 1992, was set for a €10 million refurbishment announced in July 2025, with works including the replacement of travelators and walkways set to begin in 2026.

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Main photo credit: Monaco Life

Monaco United Women secure three more wins in their unbeaten streak

Monaco United Women’s football secured a commanding 6-0 victory against Villeneuve-Loubet at the Stade Dider-Deschamps on Sunday 8th February, completing a three-win streak without conceding a goal.

The momentum began with an away victory against FC Lambescain in the Mediterranean Cup, securing the team’s place in the quarter finals. Head coach Marco Simone described their earlier win against Carros as “a turning point, both mentally and sportingly” that kickstarted their season.

The team followed up with a 25-0 league win over AS Moulins, taking them to 100 goals scored in the league campaign so far.

Breaking down Villeneuve-Loubet

Marina Makanza scored twice in the opening stages to give her team an early 2-0 lead. Two more goals before half-time then put the match beyond doubt, with Monaco United leading 4-0 at the break.

Monaco United Women during the game, photo credit: Dylan Garino

The team added two more goals in the second half to seal a convincing 6-0 victory against opponents with the league’s second best defence.

Defender Meryl Cirri praised the team’s patience in breaking down a well-organised defence. “We faced a team that had prepared well, particularly defensively,” she said. “It took some time to adapt and find openings, but gradually spaces appeared.”

The three consecutive clean sheets have further established Monaco United’s strength alongside their attacking style. “We’re not conceding goals at the moment, which is very positive for our defensive line,” added Cirri.

Monaco United Women during the game, photo credit: Dylan Garino

Next matches

The victory maintains Monaco Unite’s position at the top of the league table as they pursue promotion through the play-offs.

Next up is a friendly fame in Corsica against AS Pietrosella on Sunday, followed by the Paul Marenco Cup quarter-final against AS Fontonne Antibes on 22nd February.

The team also face a significant test on 1st March when they travel to FC Rousset in the Mediterranean Cup quarter-finals. Rousset compete two divisions above Monaco United.

“Our ambitions remain unchanged: to win the league, aims for promotion through the play-offs, and go as far as possible in cup competitions,” said Simone. “We are doing great things, but the true assessment will come at the end of the season.”

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Main photo credit: Dylan Garino

Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo unveils 40th anniversary season

Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo is celebrating its 40th anniversary with an extraordinary programme of performances running from February to July, filled with both new creations and beloved classics. 

The season kicks off with ‘Miniatures’, a world premiere running from 16th to 19th April at the Salle Garnier of l’Opera de Monte-Carlo. The production pairs contemporary composers with choreographers from the company in an innovative format where music is created first, then presented to choreographers to interpret through movement.

Five choreographers will each create short ballets for the production, set to new music written specifically for the project. Four of them: Francesco Nappa, Jeroen Verbruggen, Julien Guérin, and Mimoza Koike are former dancers of Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo who have since become choreographers. They will be joined by the company’s artistic director, Jean-Christophe Maillot. The concept revives a format first explored in 2004.

Core Meu returns in extended version

From 28th to 30th April at the Grimaldi Forum, audiences will be able to experience an extended version of Jean-Christophe Maillot’s Core Meu. The high-energy production is inspired by the traditional tarantella folk dance of Southern Italy and features 50 dancers performing alongside live musicians Antonio Castrignanò and Taranta Sounds.

The production builds to a Dionysian crescendo over 70 minutes, blending classical ballet with folk traditions. A workshop will be offered on 29th April for those interested to learn the choreography.

During rehearsals of the Miniatures performance, photo credit: Alice Blangero – Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo 

Academy showcase and anniversary gala

The Académie Princess Grace, now in its 50th year, will present its annual end of year gala on 19th and 20th June at the Salle Garnier. The performances showcase students from the prestigious dance school, including both new talents and those graduating to join international ballet companies.

Then, the season’s centrepiece arrives on 3rd and 4th July with a surprise anniversary gala at the Grimaldi Forum celebrating 40 years of Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo. While the full programme remains secret, organisers promise “a procession of dancers, choreographers, musicians and artists who contributed to writing the history of the company.”

Monaco Dance Forum

Shortly after, the Monaco Dance Forum arrives with two major productions. First, La Compagnie Humaine presents ‘Waku Doki’ on 10th and 11th July at the Salle Garnier, a new creation by choreographer Éric Oberdorff that blends dance with immersive digital technology.

Following, the season culminates with the prestigious Ballet d’Opera National de Paris performing John Neumeier’s legendary ‘La Dame aux Camélias’ from 17th to 19th July at the Grimaldi Forum. The Paris Opera Ballet will be accompanied by the Monte-Carlo Philharmonic Orchestra in this romantic classic featuring star dancers including Étoile Léonore Baulac.

International tours continue

Beyond Monaco, Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo will tour throughout Europe and Asia, visiting cities including Cannes, Cremona, Udine, Parma, Madrid, Riga, Seoul, and more. The company continues to present Maillot’s repertoire including Cinderella, Romeo and Juliet, and LAC on major international stages.

Tickets for the performances are available through montecarloticket.com. and at box offices at the Casino (+377 92 00 13 70) and at the Grimaldi Forum (+377 99 99 30 00).

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Main photo credit: Alice Blangero – Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo 

Italy’s Bande Nere triumph in brutal medieval combat at Monaco’s big top

Armoured fighters delivered bone crunching combat at the Chapiteau de Fontvieille on Saturday evening, with Italy’s Bande Nere eventually winning the Malizia buhurt tournament. 

The big top was filled with spectators who watched 10 teams from France, Italy and Spain battle it out in seven-versus-seven full contact medieval combat, their cheers rising as warriors clashed with blunted weapons in historically accurate armour.

While the spectacle might have appeared chaotic to the untrained eye, buhurt is in fact a highly tactical and strategic discipline. Each fighter has a specific role and position, with individual combat techniques woven into broader team strategies that draw on elements of rugby and judo.

Italy’s Bande Nere fought with particular rigour throughout the evening, their intensity and coordination setting them apart from the other teams.

During the battles, photo credit: Stéphane Danna, Communications Department 

The Italian squad ultimately claimed first place, with France’s Les Comtois taking second and La Confrérie des Loups finishing third. Philippe Rebaudengo and Evgeny Strzhalkovskiy, founder of the Magna Carta project, presented the awards.

Adding to the medieval atmosphere, the wives and children of the fighters attended in period clothing, showing their support and adding to the spirit of the event.

The tournament serves as the opening stage of Magna Carta’s 2026 calendar, which brings together over 25 teams from four continents.

See more in our video reel below…

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Main photo credit: Stéphane Danna, Communications Department 

In photos: Monte Carlo Rally Historique 2026

The 28th Monte Carlo Rally Historique concluded with high drama as 244 crews navigated the challenging but legendary alpine routes under a new format featuring closed roads for the first time.

From six starting points across Europe including JohnO’Groats in Scotland, Bad Homburg in Germany, Barcelona, Turin, Reims, and the Principality itself, the historic rally cars converged on Valence before tackling the competitive stages.

Notable competitors included 1988 Monte Caro Rally winner Bruno Saby in a Renault 5 Turbo, former Formula 1 driver Takuma Sato, and defending champions Michel Decremer and Jennifer Hugo.

Turini decides victory

The rally’s fate was sealed on the Col de Turini as Spanish crew Climent Asensio and Jimenez Valls, sitting fourth overall with just two stages remaining, stormed through the night stage to claim an unlikely victory in their 1981 BMW 323i.

After completing the final mountain stages on 7th February, the crews returned to Monaco for the official finish at 12:25am, with the awards ceremony held later that evening at the Monte-Carlo Sporting.

“We are over the moon,” said Climent Asensio. “This year, second place was not an option.”

The victory marked redemption for the Spanish pair, who finished runners-up in the 2025 driving the same car.

Of the 244 starters, 204 crews were classified at the finish. French crew Ludovic De Luca and Sébastien Chol finished second overall in a Peugeot 104 ZS, with Monaco’s Olivier and Lydia Campana claiming third in their Volkswagen Golf GTI, marking their first podium on the historic event.

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

All photos credit: Richard McCreery

Monaco pour l’Emploi: what employers today are really looking for in a candidate

The Grimaldi Forum hosted the government’s fourth edition of Monaco pour L’Emploi on Friday, drawing thousands of candidates looking for employment in Monaco.

Monaco Life’s Kyriaki Topalidou talked to recruiters behind the polished stands from sectors as diverse as yachting, hospitality and private equity, and they shared a surprising consensus: the perfect candidate isn’t necessarily the one with the most impressive CV.

“For us, what is most important is the attitude,” said Aurélie Arent, co-founder of Athos Partners, a private equity firm attending the forum for the first time. “We believe anyone can always learn, but attitude is something that is more difficult to change.”

Her firm seeks analysts with top business school backgrounds and at least two years in strategic consulting or investment banking, yet she highlighted what matters most: “We love to see people who take ownership, who act as if they are working in their own company, and are proactive and thriving in what they do.”

The preparation problem

Multiple recruiters also identified the same critical mistake: candidates arriving without basic knowledge of the company they’re approaching.

Hugo Debast, recruiting for Hill Robinson’s yacht and villa operations in Antibes, was blunt about the issue. “A lot of candidates come here without a clear idea what they’re looking for,” he said. “I think it’s better to see less companies and approach them with a clear idea of what they are doing. Everybody has a phone in their pocket. They can Google what the company is before coming and asking, ‘What are you doing, and what is your job?'”

Hill Robinson’s stand, photo credit: Monaco Life.

Isabelle Walker from the Société des Bains de Mer, which operates Monaco’s luxury hotels and restaurants, shared the same view. “I think it’s important to know a little bit about our establishments, since we have many – and in many different sectors. So, the moment you show that you know the company, it’s already a very good sign.”

Transferrable skills trump narrow experience

For luxury sector employers, adaptability matters as much as expertise. Debast outlined what Hill Robinson seeks: transferable skills like IT capabilities, people skills, hospitality experience and languages, combined with the right mindset. “People must be passionate and ready to learn different things,” he said. “There is never a one-job-fits-all.”

The SBM is currently seeking cooks and kitchen staff for the seasonal period, but Walker stressed personality over credentials. “We’re looking for people who have personality and interpersonal skills. It’s important in our professions since we’re in excellence. So, someone who combines these two skills would be very welcome to join our team.”

Arent added that she values candidates who demonstrate high energy and think proactively. “I like people who already think as if they would be here and what they can do.”

Lastly, Walker’s advice was simple but important. “Above all, talk about yourself and make people want to work with you, because for us, the goal is to get to know people and to be able to work with them if the feeling is right.”

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Main photo credit: Monaco Life