Brought to you by: Monaco Life
A large swathe of eastern France has been hit by violent storms that brought a sudden and dramatic end to the weeks-long heatwave.
The Departments most affected were Gard, Dordogne, Lot-et-Garonne, Drôme, Nièvre, Yonne, and Bas-Rhin. In the Gard, a 75-year-old German tourist has been reported missing.
Significant damage was caused, and a total of 1,600 people were evacuated, the Ministry of the Interior said. Several people were taken to hospital suffering from hypothermia.
Very heavy rainfall on Thursday morning was repeated again in the late afternoon. Cities that have taken precautions such as closing parks and other public areas include Strasbourg, Metz, and Nancy.
Further west, in the Dordogne and Lot-et-Garonne, more than 7,000 homes were reported to be without electricity at midday, compared to 19,000 cut off earlier in the day.
Meanwhile, the forecast for Monaco is mainly settled from Friday, August 10, with daytime temperatures dropping from 33 to 28 degrees in the following week.
St. Paul’s Anglican Church has started making online videos of their weekly sermons in English, so parishioners don’t have to miss out during the lockdown.
The National Council says it wants to keep the Condamine and Monte-Carlo markets open, despite the closure of all food markets this week across France.
The government has added psychologists to the team at Monaco’s Covid-19 call centre as a growing number of people seek advice on how to cope with isolation and fear.
The National Council is calling on the Prince’s government to create a makeshift hospital in preparation for a surge in coronavirus cases in the Principality.