Two Monegasque companies have been recruited to operate new seawater heat pumps in Larvotto and Condamine, marking another major step towards the Principality’s energy transition.
Minister of State Pierre Dartout and Director General of SMEG Thomas Battaglione signed a concession treaty for the thalassothermal loops of Larvotto and Condamine in the presence of Minister of Equipment, Environment, and Urban Planning Marie-Pierre Gramaglia and Finance Minister Jean Castellini on Monday. The 30-year contract covers the operation and marketing of these works in progress.
“The environmental issue figures prominently in the missions entrusted to me by the Sovereign Prince,” said the Minister of State. “The Principality has set itself the objective of reducing its CO2 emissions by 50% by 2030. We also want to achieve carbon neutrality by 2050. These two thalassothermal loops will make an important contribution to fulfilling this commitment.”
Buildings in the Larvotto and Condamine districts will connect to a network equipped with heat pumps producing air conditioning, hot water, and heat – all with very low electricity consumption.
The area covered by these two loops covers 200,000 m2, or nearly 7% of the total buildings in Monaco, three quarters of which are in the Larvotto district.
“After the first major phase of works, Monaco will be able to count on the local production of around 35GWh of carbon-free energy – a saving of 6,025 tonnes of CO2, for the benefit of 3,500 housing units,” said Thomas Battaglione.
The Principality is in fact one of the first countries in the world to develop this kind of renewable energy, with the installation of its first seawater heat pump at the Rainier III Nautical Stadium in 1963 to heat the swimming pool water.
Today, there are more than 80 seawater heat pumps in use throughout Monaco including those for the Grimaldi Forum, the Oceanographic Museum, the Rainier III Auditorium and various SBM establishments. Meanwhile, a similar network serves businesses in Fontvieille as well as around 2,000 housing units.
Photo by Stephane Dana, Communication Department of the Monaco Government
Day: 26 October 2020
Italy introduces restrictions and closures
Neighbouring Italy is the latest country to reinforce strict new measures for bars, restaurants and public gatherings in a last-ditch effort to avoid a national lockdown.
“If this November we respect all these new rules we will be able to keep the epidemic curve under control… and face December, and the Christmas holidays with greater serenity,” Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte told a press conference on Sunday.
Under the new rules, effective Monday 26th October to 24th November, bars and restaurants must close at 6pm and can stay open later only for takeaway service. A maximum of four people can sit at a table together. Consuming food and drinks in public places will also be banned from 6pm.
Cinemas, theaters, swimming pools, and gyms have to close, although museums can remain open. Gatherings for weddings, baptisms and funerals are banned, as are all events and fairs. Distance learning will be applied in high schools for at least 75% of students.
Working remotely is strongly encouraged. Home visits from people other than relatives are strongly discouraged, as is leaving home for reasons other than work, study, health and emergencies.
Italy’s worst hit regions of Lombardy, Campania and Lazio had already implemented their own tougher local restrictions in the days before Sunday’s announcement, including nighttime curfews.
In acknowledging that businesses like bars and gyms will be hit hard by the new measures, Mr Conte ensured that the government will compensate with “substantial” financial aid.
On Saturday, Italy topped the half-million mark in the total number of confirmed coronavirus infections since the start of the pandemic.
Photo of Venice, source Pixabay
Hamilton makes history, Leclerc comes in 4th
Valeri contracts Covid but "doing well"
The National Council revealed on Monday that its President, Stéphane Valeri, has tested positive for the coronavirus.
The 58-year-old Monegasque politician and businessman took a PCR test on Monday 26th October and the positive result was publicly relayed soon after.
“Stéphane Valeri has few symptoms and his condition does not cause any concern,” said the National Council in a statement. “He is doing well and organises the work of the National Council remotely from his home, in close collaboration with his main associates. Under strengthened health protocols and recommendations in force, potential contact cases have been identified and will be tested within 24 hours.”
Other high-profile members of Monaco’s administration to have contracted the virus include former Minister of State Serge Telle and Prince Albert II, both of whom made a full recovery.
The diocese of Monaco revealed on Sunday that Archbishop Dominique-Marie David had tested positive for Covid one week ago and has been isolating at his residence in Monaco.
The Principality has seen a surge in Covid cases within the past week, with 25 cases confirmed from Monday to Sunday alone.
On Friday, Minister of State Pierre Dartout announced a range of new restrictions, including the closure of all bars and restaurants by 11.30pm.
Related stories:
No more late nights out
Photo of Stephane Valeri during a March National Council Assembly meeting, photo courtesy National Council of Monaco
AS Monaco fall to Lyon
Despite a strong start, AS Monaco wasn’t able to keep the momentum up on Sunday in a tough match against 6th ranked Olympique Lyonnaise, resulting in a 1-4 loss.
Playing on the opponent’s home turf, AS Monaco started the game against Lyon with gusto. They made several shots on goal in the first 15 minutes, but the Lyonnaise goalie, Anthony Lopes, was having a stellar game and his reflexes were sharp as tacks, thus stopping any points from being scored.
Lyon opened the scoring 12 minutes in with a shot by Memphis Depay, marking the first of four goals made in the first half. Lyon’s Karl Toko Ekambi racked up two goals within 10 minutes of each other in the 34th minute and the 44th and Houssem Aouar scored in the 41st. The score sat at 0-4 and things were looking a bit bleak for Monaco as they went into the locker room at halftime.
“They were very dangerous, especially in the first half,” said Monaco Coach Niko Kovac. “We did everything wrong in those first 45 minutes, where we made a lot of bad decisions, starting with me. I am the coach, I chose the team and the tactical system, so I take my share of responsibility for this loss. We weren’t active enough. We were too reactive. We didn’t close down the spaces when needed.”
The second half was a bit better for the Red and Whites, and they were playing well as a team. Wissam Ben Yedder made a fantastic play resulting in a goal in the 48thminute, saving his team from a complete blow-out and breathing some life back into the squad, but sadly not enough for a comeback. The score sat at 1-4 With Lyon taking the day.
“The team as a whole was too passive. I think we need to analyse what happened in that first half,” Coach Kovac reflected.
Monaco drops to 12th in Ligue 1 but have a chance to redeem themselves on Sunday 1st November when they will host Girondins de Bordeaux at Stade Louis II.
Photo courtesy AS Monaco
Digital renewal of vehicle registration
The government is requesting that vehicle registrations for 2021 be completed online this year.
The Service des Titres de Circulation (STC) has sent invoices for the year 2021 to all owners of vehicles registered in the Principality.
In a statement released on Thursday, the Prince’s Government said that it “recommends that people use the safest, fastest and most secure means of payment: online, by credit card, on the Government’s website www.gouv.mc.”
This method of payment has two benefits – completing the process online poses no exposure and health risks for users or STC staff, and it actually speeds up the procedure.
Vehicle owners are encouraged to visit the website with the issue number mentioned at the top left of the invoice, and complete the process in a few clicks.
Payment by cheque is also possible to the Service des Titres de Circulation, accompanied by the completed and signed invoice. It can be sent in an envelope provided or deposited in the green letterbox installed at the entrance to the STC building on 23 avenue Albert II, 1st floor.
Payment must be made before 31st December 2020.
Owners of electric vehicles are exempt from paying registration fees, however owners must still complete the registration process.
Website: https://teleservice.gouv.mc/estampille/public/demarrer.jsp