Four days after a 14-year student was rushed to hospital after taking part in a choking game at his school, the head of Charles III has told parents that all students will be warned of the dangers of this troubling trend.
It is a story that has sent shivers down the spines of every parent – a 14-year-old boy had to be hospitalised at the CHPG after taking part in the ‘scarf game’ in Monaco.
It also drew strong criticism from the teachers’ union, who told Monaco Matin that they wanted to see more adult surveillance at the school, where there were 23 supervisors for more than 1,100 students.
On Wednesday, the parents at Charles III college received a message from the principal, Sébastien Dassonville, detailing the actions the school will take to help prevent future incidents, according to a report in Monaco Matin.
“In addition to the prevention actions already implemented, the college will organise special awareness sessions starting this week for college students in order to make them aware again of these risks and so that they do not trivialise these practices. This prevention campaign will be carried out in such a way as not to not arouse concern or curiosity about these dangerous games.”
The principal stated that “any attempt at dangerous games will be subject to sanctions” and that supervision will be strengthened “particularly during travel, recreation and in places conducive to gatherings.”
Parents were encouraged to talk to their children about the potentially fatal game, also known as the pass-out challenge, which has actually been around for a many years but has picked up in popularity after going viral on TikTok.
According to psychology researcher Gregory Michel at the University of Bordeaux, children and adolescents who suffer from depression or behaviour problems may be more likely to play the game to achieve a euphoric high than young people who don’t have mental health issues.
Photo credit: Scott Webb, Unsplash