Monaco to ban pyrotechnics in enclosed public spaces following Crans-Montana fire

Monaco will ban all pyrotechnic devices, including sparklers, in enclosed public spaces following the deadly Crans-Montana fire that killed 40 people on New Year’s Day.

Minister of State Christophe Mirmand announced the decision on Tuesday 13th January, requesting that regulatory changes be prepared as quickly as possible to prohibit any type of pyrotechnic device within enclosed venues throughout the Principality.

According to a government statement, the Minister of State mobilised the Technical Commission for Hygiene, Safety and Environmental Protection immediately following the Crans-Montana incident to conduct additional inspections of relevant establishments and raise awareness among operators about strict compliance with safety rules, particularly those concerning fire risks and public evacuation conditions.

The government says the decision “reflects a continuous approach of anticipation and public protection, based on the expertise of state technical services and detailed knowledge of establishments and practices in force in the Principality.”

No specific implementation date has been announced, though the Minister of State has requested the regulatory change be prepared as quickly as possible.

SBM already eliminated sparklers years ago

Monaco’s major entertainment venues had already largely eliminated pyrotechnic use before the regulatory change. Stéphane Valeri, CEO of Société des Bains de Mer, told press at his 7th January New Year address that SBM replaced sparklers with LED lights in nighttime venues years ago.

The only exception occurs once yearly at Salle des Étoiles, and only with explicit government approval.

“While I cannot guarantee that nothing will ever happen, I can assure you that the type of tragedy that occurred cannot happen in a Monegasque establishment,” Valeri stated.

The new ban formalises practices already in place across Monaco’s entertainment sector while eliminating any ambiguity about pyrotechnic use in enclosed spaces. The regulatory change removes the need for case-by-case approvals and ensures uniform safety standards across all venues.

Following the tragedy, the Crans-Montana mayor, Nicolas Feraud, apologised at a news conference, and said that all sparkler candles, which were blamed for the fire, have now been banned inside the town’s venues.

See also: 

Swiss bar managers under investigation as first victims identified in fire that killed 40

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Photo credit: Shalom Ejiofor, Pexels

 

Monaco Run Gramaglia partners with Carlo app to boost volunteer recruitment

The Monaco Run Gramaglia has partnered with Monaco-based app Carlo in an unprecedented collaboration aimed at strengthening volunteer recruitment and engagement while promoting running culture in the Principality.

The partnership, announced on Tuesday 13th January, represents a first for both the running event and the Monegasque application, bringing together sports event enthusiasts and Monaco’s economic actors in a locally focused development initiative.

Through the collaboration, the Carlo app will enable the Monegasque Athletics Federation to recruit new volunteers, who will be symbolically thanked with an enhanced volunteer package enriched with Carlo shopping vouchers.

The arrangement reflects a growing trend of local partnerships designed to support community sporting events while engaging Monaco residents through digital platforms. By offering tangible benefits through Carlo vouchers, the federation aims to attract volunteers who contribute essential support to the running event’s operations.

The Monaco Run Gramaglia, organised by the Monegasque Athletics Federation, relies heavily on volunteer support to manage the logistics, safety and participant experience of the annual running event. The partnership with Carlo provides a modern recruitment tool while rewarding volunteer contributions in a way that supports local commerce.

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Photo source: Government Communications Department 

 

La Mairie hosts annual Galette des Rois gathering for local associations

Monaco’s deputy mayor Marjorie Crovetto and sports delegate Jacques Pastor welcomed representatives from the principality’s associations on Monday evening for the traditional Galette des Rois celebration at A Casa d’i Soci.

The annual gathering, held on January 12th, brought together members from numerous local groups to mark the start of 2026. During the celebration, attendees shared several galettes with the customary crowning of a king and a queen for the evening.

“The associative world constitutes an essential pillar of social cohesion and more broadly of the human community,” Crovetto told those gathered. “It is based on the personal commitment, passion and generosity of women and men invested in associations whose diversity of actions creates richness.”

She added that the occasion provided an opportunity to acknowledge the close ties that unite the municipal administration with local associations.

A Casa d’i Soci, which has served as the primary meeting point of the community since 2014, continues to see growing use. The facility, run by Monaco’s Sports and Associations Service, now supports 337 registered associations – up from 307 the previous year.

In 2025 the venue recorded 1,105 bookings, a notable increase from 826 in 2024, with nearly 15,685 people using the facilities.

The informal reception allowed association representatives to network among themselves and with municipal officials.

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Main photo credit: Mairie de Monaco

Monte-Carlo Bay reveals Memphis-inspired rooms with bold 1980s design twist

Monte-Carlo Bay Hotel & Resort is midway through an ambitious five-phase renovation that’s bringing 1980s Milan design sensibility to Monaco’s modern coastline hotel, with newly completed rooms commanding a 25% price premium over their predecessors.

The transformation, led entirely by SBM’s in-house design team, draws inspiration from the Memphis Group — the influential postmodern design movement born in 1980s Milan under architect and designer Ettore Sottsass that revolutionised interior design with playful forms, bold colors and unexpected angles.

SBM CEO Stéphane Valeri announced during his New Year address on 7th January that phase two will complete in April 2026, delivering 74 redesigned rooms across floors seven and eight. Combined with the 67 rooms renovated during phase one on floors nine and 10, this brings the total to 141 reimagined spaces by spring — representing over 40% of the hotel’s 332 rooms.

Photo source: MCSBM

From Milan to Monaco

The Memphis Group, which Sottsass founded with young architects and designers in the early 1980s, championed a ludic approach to architecture and interior decoration through novel forms in furniture, lighting and tableware, along with color blocking, strong patterns, unusual proportions and surprising angles.

SBM’s design bureau retained the principle of colour blocking while refining the combinations. Teams opted for neutral, enveloping background colors that create contrast with strong, luminous accent hues in the décor — a softer interpretation of Memphis’s sometimes jarring aesthetic that suits a luxury hotel environment.

The result is exclusive furniture found nowhere else. Every piece has been custom-designed for Monte-Carlo Bay, giving the hotel a distinctive identity while maintaining the comfort and refinement expected at an SBM property.

Photo source: MCSBM

Proven revenue model

The renovation strategy is already proving financially successful. Valeri revealed that newly renovated rooms at both Monte-Carlo Bay and Hôtel Hermitage are commanding approximately 25% premiums over pre-renovation pricing — validating the significant investment in design and execution.

“Since we have already rented phase 1 renovations at Hermitage and Monte-Carlo Bay, I can say that the new rooms rent for about 25% more on average than the old ones,” Valeri stated. “This obviously guarantees better results in coming years as renovated rooms and suites are delivered.”

The model follows the successful transformation of Hôtel de Paris, where comprehensive renovation more than doubled revenue since 2019 to nearly €100 million annually. SBM aims to replicate this performance at Monte-Carlo Bay, positioning both properties to attract Ultra High Net Worth Individuals who increasingly demand larger suites and distinctive design.

Photo source: MCSBM

Five-phase timeline

SBM is executing the renovation in five distinct phases to avoid disrupting hotel operations, conducting work only during the low season from October to March. Phase one ran from 2024 to 2025, renovating 67 rooms on floors nine and 10, with one-third converted to Premium Suites and Junior Suites. Phase two is currently underway from October 2025 through April 2026, transforming 74 rooms on floors seven and eight, comprising 60 standard rooms, 12 Junior Suites and two suites.

Phase three will address floors five and six, followed by phase four covering floors three and four, with phase five completing the transformation on floor two. The timeline for these later phases has not yet been announced. The hotel’s 22 existing suites are distributed throughout these phases, with some standard rooms being converted to Junior Suites and Premium Suites to meet evolving client demands for more spacious accommodations.

Photo source: MCSBM

Beyond rooms

Monte-Carlo Bay’s transformation extends beyond guest rooms. A Kids Club will open in summer 2026, addressing Valeri’s priority of making SBM properties more welcoming to families.

Looking toward the 2030 horizon, SBM plans to add floors to the current 11-story structure, pending government permits, to create additional luxury residences and celebrate the hotel’s jubilee with expanded facilities.

 

See also: 

Hôtel Hermitage to unveil Bar Gustave beneath Eiffel’s iconic glass dome

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Main photo source: MCSBM

 

Monaco Optimist Team Race set to return with young sailors from 12 nations

The Yacht Club de Monaco will host the 14th Monaco Optimist Team Race from 14th to 18th January, bringing together 60 young sailors under 14 from 12 nations to compete in one of the most high-profile events in the Optimist sailing class.

Launched in 2010, the event has established itself as a proving ground for the next generation of world-class sailors, with a format that emphasises teamwork, tactical thinking and performance under pressure. Fifteen teams of four will contest over 150 match races from Wednesday’s opening ceremony through Sunday’s finals.

International competition

The event’s prestigious track record demonstrates its ultra-competitive nature. Switzerland dominated early editions through entries from Société Nautique de Genève and Gstaad Yacht Club, before Germany, Finland, Turkey and Monaco added their names to the winners’ list.

American teams claimed victory in 2020 and 2022, while Croatia’s JKU Deep Blue caused a major upset in 2023, confirming that each edition brings revelations and new talent to the forefront.

The competition serves as a breeding ground for future champions, with many participants going on to distinguish themselves beyond the Optimist class as they progress through their sailing careers.

Team racing format

What distinguishes the Monaco Optimist Team Race is its head-to-head team racing format, inspired by the America’s Cup, where each team competes directly against opposing teams rather than racing individually.

Communication, reading water conditions and maintaining composure under pressure are essential. There are no individual heroes—sailors must think, act and maneuver as a cohesive unit.

The format proves character-building for young competitors who learn quickly that success depends on collective decision-making and coordinated tactics rather than solo performance.

Pre-competition training

Before entering competition, teams participate in the annual International Clinic from 12 to 14 January, supervised by Chris Atkins. With 45 years of team racing experience, Atkins is a three-time British National Team Race Championship winner who coached Team Great Britain to gold at the first ISAF Team Race World Championship.

Atkins also served as president of selectors for the British Olympic sailing team for Beijing and London, and works as a World Sailing umpire and judge.

The three-day clinic allows contestants to fine-tune tactics, hone skills and fully understand the nuances of this demanding racing format before the opening ceremony on Wednesday 14 January.

Racing begins at 11am on Thursday 15th January, with teams progressing through round robin qualifiers before reaching the finals over the four-day competition period.

See also: 

Yacht Club de Monaco unveils 2026 programme featuring debut collaboration with New York’s Explorers Club

Stay updated with Monaco Life: sign up for our free newsletter, catch our podcast on Spotify, and follow us across Facebook,  InstagramLinkedIn, and Tik Tok.

Photo source: YCM