Breaking News

The number of people officially infected with Covid-19 has risen to 60 in Monaco: 2 cured, 11 hospitalised, 2 in ICU

Grid girls will still be part of this year’s Grand Prix

Grid girls will still be part of this year’s Grand Prix

By Staff Writer - April 5, 2018

Photo: Facebook Grid Girls
Photo: Facebook Grid Girls

Despite the recent controversial decision to do away with grid girls at Formula 1 events, on the basis that using the beautiful girls as part of the glitz and glamour of the show was behind the times, it has been reported that the Monaco Grand Prix will continue to sport the grid girls, for at least the 2018 event.

Liberty Media had announced earlier this year that it would be replacing the grid girls with grid kids, a decision that was welcomed by many as bringing the sport into the modern world. However, F1i.com said that the grid girls will be making a one-off return to the Monaco Grand Prix in May.

The event organiser, the Automobile Club de Monaco, has reached an agreement with F1 owners Liberty Media to continue the tradition, according to several reports.
ACM President Michel Boeri said, “We’ve had no problems with Liberty Media, except for the grid girl issue. They’ll be there, on the grid, but won’t be holding any name-boards. They’re pretty and the cameras will be on them once again.”

A grid girls holds driver name-boards on the grid and lining the corridor through which drivers walk on their way to the podium if they finish in the top three. According to reports, some grid girls have said they earned enough money “to support the early years of their modelling careers or their college or university education”.

More Grand Prix stories

shares
SHARE
Previous article“I’m counting on you,” says Prince Albert
Next articleWe can’t ‘mortgage the future of our children’, says Prince Albert

daily

Cassandra Tanti

Now more than ever, health is at the forefront of everyone’s minds. On 7th April, we have an opportunity to thank the nurses and midwives of the Principality during World Health Day 2020.

0
Cassandra Tanti

Monaco’s support workers caring for the most vulnerable in the community are making heroic efforts to maintain vital ties to the elderly and disabled, whilst trying to remain safe themselves during the crisis.

0
April 2, 2020 | Local News

Majority compliance of lockdown rules

Cassandra Tanti

Since confinement began on 18th March, the Monaco police force has made 11,000 traffic checks on drivers entering the Principality.

0
April 1, 2020 | Local News

Prince calls for unity

Cassandra Tanti

Prince Albert has warned the National Council that its criticism of his government’s management of the Covid-19 pandemic is unnecessarily escalating the tension and uncertainty surrounding the crisis.

0