Weather
3 ° C
3°C
Breaking News

106 Covid cases 18 Jan, 35 hospitalised - 20 res, 4 in ICU - 1 res, 284 home monitored, 6,427 recoveries, 44 deaths, 1,953 incidence rate, 67.8% vaccinated

Princess opens up about extended stay in South Africa

Princess opens up about extended stay in South Africa

By Cassandra Tanti - July 23, 2021

Princess Charlene has revealed further details of her medical condition to South African media, explaining why she has been unable to return to Monaco since earlier this year.

There has been much speculation as to why the Princess and mother of two has remained in her native South Africa for more than three months, where she initially went to work with rhino charity Thanda Foundation. She has since missed several high-profile events, including her 10th wedding anniversary.

Prince Albert and twins Hereditary Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella made the journey to Charlene’s homeland to visit her earlier this year, pictures of which were proudly shared on the Princess’ social media.

The Palace later released a statement confirming that the Princess was effectively stranded in South Africa after undergoing “multiple, complicated procedures” for a serious ear, nose and throat infection.

Princess Charlene told People at the time: “My daily conversations with Albert and my children help me keep my spirits up a lot, but I miss their presence very much. I can’t wait for us to be together.”

Now, the Princess has further explained the cause of her delayed return to the Principality, telling South African outlet Channel24 that she underwent a sinus lift and bone graft in preparation for dental implants in May. This surgery was performed prior to her mid-May arrival in South Africa. She says she sensed a problem in June when she began suffering extreme soreness in her ears. A second corrective surgery conducted on 23rd June forced the postponement of her scheduled return to Monaco to celebrate her 10th wedding anniversary in early July.

The princess revealed that her inability to equalise the pressure in her ears means that flying above 20,000ft is currently out of the question.

In order to pass the time before she can return home, Princes Charlene is continuing her charity work, sewing blankets for the local creche and helping the rhino conservation, all while keeping in very regular contact with Prince Albert and the twins.

“Albert is my rock and strength and without his love and support I would not have been able to get through this painful time,” the Princess told Channel24, adding, “I miss my husband, my babies and my doggies.”

 

 

Top photo from Princess Charlene’s Instagram page

 

 

 

shares
SHARE
Sign up to our newsletter
Previous article“We want the YCM marina to be an innovation laboratory”
Next articleWhich visitors to Monaco need to show a health pass?

daily

January 19, 2022 | Local News

Focus on breast cancer at Oncology Biennial

Stephanie Horsman

The Monegasque Oncology Biennial will kick off at the end of January, highlighting major advances in oncology, pharmaceuticals and haematology, but this year the spotlight is on breast cancer.

0
Stephanie Horsman

The Monte-Carlo Television Festival has put out a call for film and TV entries for the Golden Nymph Awards in June.

0
January 19, 2022 | Local News

“It is clearly our best match”

Luke Entwistle

Sasa Obradovic praised his players for what he believes to be their best match under his management on Tuesday, as Monaco strolled to victory against Lyon-Villeurbanne.

0
January 19, 2022 | Local News

No Jardin Exotique until 2023, says mayor

Stephanie Horsman

Monaco Mayor Georges Marsan says the Jardin Exotique will not reopen before 2023, saying the €16 million that was earmarked to complete works has not materialised.  

0