The melting pot of Monaco: more than 140 nationalities call the Principality home

The results of the 2023 census, published by statistical agency IMSEE earlier this month, have painted a picture of an increasingly diverse and cosmopolitan population. Monaco Life delves into the data. 

According to a new report by the Monegasque Institute of Statistics and Economic Studies, also known as IMSEE, the Principality’s population is on an upwards trajectory. Not only has the number of people who are officially residents of the micro-state grown since the last major census of 2016, rising by 2.8%, but Monaco is also attracting a progressively more diverse range of nationalities to its shores.  

Of the 38,367 people who called the Principality home in 2023, more than three quarters were foreigners. The most represented nationality is, perhaps unsurprisingly given its geographic location, French, whose people make up 22% of the population. Then comes the Principality’s next closest neighbours, the Italians, who account for a further 20% of residents. The third most represented foreign nationality is British, equating to 7% of the population. Russians, the Swiss and Belgians each represent 3% of people living in Monaco, followed by Germans at 2%, Portuguese nationals at 1% and the Dutch, also with 1% of the share.  

Monegasque nationals equate to just shy of 24% of the population, numbering 9,179 according to the IMSEE count.  

See more: Monaco’s population grows to more than 38,000

The gender split is fairly equal, with 18,892 men versus 19,475 women living in Monaco. The average age of a resident is 47.1 years, but the most represented age group is between 50 and 64 years of age. Almost a quarter of the Principality’s residents fall into this category. 

Population density 

Two of Monaco’s neighbourhoods, Monte-Carlo and La Rousse, house more than 40% of the Principality’s legal residents.  

Other significant residential areas include La Condamine (14%), Fontvieille (12%), Jardin Exotique (12%) and Les Moneghetti (11%). Despite its prominence as the home of the Palais Princier de Monaco, the historic Monaco-Ville quarter is home to just 3% of the Principality’s residents 

As of 2023, Monaco boasted a total of 21,123 housing units. The majority of these, approximately 81%, are in the private sector, equating to 17,184 units. The remaining 19% are owned by the state.  

Read related:

Monaco’s population of Monegasques nears 10,000-mark


Monaco Life is produced by real multi-media journalists writing original content. See more in our free newsletter, follow our Podcasts on Spotify, and check us out on Threads,  Facebook,  Instagram,  LinkedIn and Tik Tok.  


Photo by Monaco Life