Brought to you by: Monaco Life
The Monaco Economic Board started a three-day economic mission to Moscow on October 4. Although the first official relations between the two countries date back to 1877, it was on a mission in 2013, in conjunction with the first official visit of HSH Prince Albert II to Russia, that the MEB made the first contacts with its Russian counterparts.
Two years later, the Year of Russia in Monaco ended with a Forum organised by the MEB, in which partnerships were signed with the Russian Chamber of Commerce, the Union of Russian Industrialists and Entrepreneurs (RSPP) and Business Russia.
Then, in 2016, a second mission to Moscow led by Gilles Tonelli, Minister for Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, in the framework of the tenth anniversary of diplomatic relations between Monaco and Russia, consolidated these links.
This third MEB economic mission to Russia takes place as part of Monaco Days in Moscow organised by the Ambassador of Monaco in Russia, Mireille Pettiti, in collaboration with the Consul of Monaco in Russia, Igor Yurgens.
Thursday, October 5, focussed on the main business events with an economic forum based on the partners of the MEB on the spot: the Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs (RSPP), Business Russia and the ICC of Russia. B2B and networking business lunch offered Monegasque and Russian companies a maximum of opportunities in a minimum of time.
The MEB delegation is composed of 26 people, representing 20 entities in Monaco, mainly in healthcare, consulting, finance, trading, insurance, transport, information and communication. Most of these companies are already established or are working with Russian companies. Their common point is that they all have specific development objectives in the country.
Also on the agenda are two exceptional performances of the Compagnie des Ballets de Monte Carlo at the Bolshoi Theatre.
“This great initiative of Ambassador Mireille Pettiti will make it possible to consolidate even more the ties of business established between the Principality and Russia for several years already,” commented MEB’s President, Michel Dotta.
The government has further relaxed Covid-related restrictions in the Principality, a move that is being welcomed by restaurants and bars who are keen to boost clientele.
This year's winners of the Monaco Solar and Energy Boat Challenge have been crowned, with some truly innovative young teams stepping up to the plate.
We speak to Max Studennikoff, CEO and Founder of the CC Forum, on bringing together a selected group of HNWIs to discuss the most pressing issues facing our planet.
Enormous progress is being made in Cambodia’s first Marine Protected Area on the Koh Rong Archipelago, a project backed by the Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation.
Two Italian gamblers who have been banned from visiting casinos in their native country ran out of luck in Monaco when they tried to cheat at the English roulette tables last weekend.
Diego and Rocco were found to be cheating, thanks to cameras and inspectors at the Casino of Monte-Carlo, Monaco’s Criminal Court was told on Tuesday. A sleight of hand, a slight flick of the fingers, moving chips from a clear position on the cloth to straddle the number given by the ball, failed to work for the pair, both in their sixties.
Attorney General Jacque Doremieux said that the defendants, “who are no longer young and banned from casinos, have already been convicted of gambling offences in Italy. Even if they have no criminal record in France and Monaco, a sentence of fifteen days imprisonment is called for.”
For the defence, Maitre Arnaud Cheynut believes said that the offence was not sufficiently grave for a custodial sentence, and for the two men “the game is a way to escape a dull life”. He added that they had been willing to repay any loss to the Casino. He said that one of the men was a businessman “who did not need to win at the casino for a living. It’s an addiction.”
The court took a tougher line and doubled the penalty sought by the prosecution.